Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing ohms.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I want a 210 cab to combine with my 4ohm SWR bigfoot (2x12") 95 dB SPL @ 1W1M. About what SPL should an 8ohm 210 have to be equal in volume too the 4ohm 2x12"?
    (This is if the amp can handle a 2 ohm load.)

2. Since the 8 ohm cabinet would only get half as much power as the 4 ohm and it takes twice the power to get 3 db.,the 8 ohm cabinet should have a sensitiviy of 98 db.1w1m.to come close.I don't no if thats how it would work in the real world but thats how it looks on paper.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Blues Bass 2!
    Does anyone know how it would work in real life?
    Anyone running speakers of different resistance with a mono amp?

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I don't think its a good idea. Will your amp handle less than a 4 ohm load? Cause that's what you'll have. 2.67 ohms to be fairly precise. Most amps that are rated at 2 ohms won't do it for long in the real world. I wouldn't know how it would work in the real world, because I wouldn't even consider trying it!

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im well awere of that. Thats why I will connect the cabs in series.:cool:

6. But you said "This is if the amp can handle a 2 ohm load".

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    oops.:D
    Thats right but I wrote that so I wouldnt have to tell about the series connection.:D

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Probably not a good idea. That will give your amp a 12 ohm load, which will cut down on the power it delivers. Which will probably negate much of the benefit you were hoping to derive from adding another cab.

Besides, hooking them up in series is not easy. You do know that daisychaining is NOT a series connection but a parallel one, right?

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I read about it in Bassplayer mag. They showed how to solder a speakercable to make it a series-cable.
    But 12 ohms doesent sound so great. I thought I was on to something here.:(
    Better start saving up for a big poweramp.

10. If you have a big enough power amp there's nothing wrong with a series connection - and I think you were onto something.

I said this in another thread, but I don't care for mixing cabinets on the same amp channel - I like a little more control over my sound. My solution would be a huge amp with two channels and separate volume controls for each channel - that way you have some control of the balance between cabs. I find that kinda important - but some people don't.