1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing P bass pickups(both halves wound same direction) with a split coil J thats rwrp phase issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by narud, Apr 24, 2015.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so apparently vintage p bass pickups have both halves wound in the same direction. i have a bass with fenders new 63 ri pickup. in the bridge position is a nordstrand njsv split coil whose individual coils are reverse wound/reverse polarity.when both pickups are fully blended , two strings are out of phase. no swapping of leads does anything because its half the p coil that is always out of phase with the j. im assuming its because the p pickup has both its halves wired in the same direction. am i correct in this assumption or is there something else out there im not thinking of.

also, if this is the case, i need a split coil j whose coils are both wound in the same direction correct and achieves its hum cancelling by the reverse polarity magnets and its coils being wired out of phase with itself? is there a split coil like that? dimarzio area j maybe? would a stacked j pickup work in this application?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    just installed a single coil in place of the split and same problem. grabbed a compass and both halves of the p are both top south. bad pickup?

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    checking polarity on your P set should be easy ... see if the top sides attract or repel each other. if they attract, then you have reverse polarity, and if they repel you have the same polarity.

if the polarity is the same, do a similar test to see which of the two halves of the J coil repel the top of the P coil. which ever one repels, this is the coil you want to reference for how to set your P coils' polarity arrangement.

if you have enough slack in the P leads, you could remove the misaligned P coil (the one that attracts to one half of the split-coil J) from its cover, flip it over, and put it back in its cover to set the two coils with reverse polarity. if you get lucky, this may be all you need to do to fix your situation IF both of your P coils are magnetically the same

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yup, theyre the same. theyre both top south and they repel. i bought a mim 60's jazz one time and they shipped it with two pickups that were the same polarity as sell. im pretty disappointed right now. i bought the pickup to replace the scooped sounding american standard pickup i had in this bass. i just bought the pickup new, so ive requested a return on ebay.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh?

no they don't, they're proper RWRP.

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    You sure you don't have the half of the pickup upside down? If you flipped it upside down, that would result in exactly what we're talking about. Take half the pickup out the cover, flip it, and install it again.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    You are better off getting a conventional P-pickup, and pairing it with an end-to-end or "split coil" J bridge pickup, wired conventionally V-V-T. That way you don't have to worry about all the above discussed machinations, and each pickup, being humbucking in its own right, will be quieter overall.

8. You'll have to turn half of your P pickup upside-down. Then reverse that bobin's wires.

It will look a little weird as the bottom of the magnets are close to flush with the bobbin and when on top, and in the cover, they look sort of sunken in. Plus when you reverse the wires, you'll have to solder them from the other direction, and maybe file a little notch in the (now) lower bobbin plate so the wires clear it when you put it in its cover. But this will work fine. If you use a set of un-holed covers, no one (except us) will ever know. You can also put some spacers on the top of the other bobbin to drop the magnets down a little so the pair visually match a bit better.

I haven't seen this sort of thing for many years. It used to happen all the time back when fenders were next to worthless. When a bobbin went dead, the music shop owner just grabbed any old fender P bobbin from his drawer of old fender pickups and soldered it in. It used to be quite common to find a 70's P with one original grey bobbin and one black 80's bobbin. And of couse it's a toss of the coin whether they'll hum-cancel or not.

If you bought this pickup new, don't mess with it, send it back. It shouldn't be like that.

If you bought it on fleabay, then flip the bobbin and chalk it up to experience...

Snaxster likes this.
  9. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    It's easy to just push the Alnico magnets a little bit in the bobbin to get them to be the correct height, especially on Fender pickups with plastic bobbins. If you can do that, it's relatively easy to just tap out all the magnets and flip all of them, which would involve no soldering at all.

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I would strongly advise against trying to push the magnets around - a Pbass pickup bobbin is NOT like a Strat bobbin. the Pbass coil wire uses the magnets to hold the coil, and pushing on one of the rods will very likely break one of these fine wires leaving you with a dead pickup and voided warranty

here's what a typical Pbass pickup looks like without the cover. those magnet rods are secured into place before the wire is wrapped into the bobbin.

NAMM2014_First_RP4set.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks for the comments guys. theres no way im flipping the bobbin upside down though. its going back. i bought it new. And @walterw, yes it looks like a misread a post where a winder was discussing rewinding an old fender pickup. my bad!

even though the reverse polarity isnt needed for humcancelling, its kind of a bummer if fender is making this pickup intentionally not reverse polarity. matching it with a j pickup isnt going to happen. maybe it got a bum one. im just going to go for a refund though because i dont want to find out!

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Yeah, something ain't right. Normal P pickups new and old are RW and RP, and work fine with added J pickups.