Mixing Pup brands/styles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    How do you guys feel about mixing brands?

I'm trying to decide on new pups. I was going to simply get two Ultra Jazz, but now I'm torn. I'm thinking about installing a Bartolini MM Classic Bass and then possibly an Ultra Jazz or a Bartolini J pickup. I'm not really experienced in upgrading pups and need some advice.

Plus, would you recommend that I put the MM near the bridge and the J near the neck, or vice versa?
  2. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I asked the same question about a month ago...this is what I was told by fellow TBer Clorenzo:

"You can use pu's with different resistance no problem, especially when the difference is so small as in your case.

Even if it's a big difference, you can do it, the only problem being that when both pu's are on at the same time, the one with lower resistance will contribute more to the sound than the other one, because of the mutual loading between them (to put it simply the lower resistance pu "short-circuits" the other one more than the other way round), but you can always compensate with the vol or blend controls.

Finally, this is all regardless of brand, you can also have pu's with different resistances within the same brand, so it's not a factor."

Hope that helps :bassist: