1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mixing sets (Nickel and SS)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Mar 31, 2006.

1. What would be wrong with mixing my B and E strings as stainless steel and having my A D and G strings nickel?

I accidentally tried this and I think I am in love...but I want to double check problems that may pop up in the future.

I was going to mix DR Lowriders gauge 125 and 105 with sunbeams of gauges 85, 65, and 45?

Does anyone know how well DR does custom orders like such an order? What is the time it takes to ship and how costly will it be?

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    No problems that I can forsee except if you do not use the corosponding strings.

I.e. What are you going to do with the 2 spares from each set? Use them in the oposite format or toss them?

Edit: Just realised that you are going to be ordering them as individual strings. You might find over an extended period of time doing the abouve that one side of your frets suffers more wear then the other.

3. Yea. I would be ordering them directly from DR. So other than fret wear I would be ok??? If so I really wouldnt mind because I want to try a smaller fret eventually, so if they wear down it will jsut give me an excuse ;) .

Thanks