Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing speakers - Hartke 410TP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gtrandbass, Jun 12, 2005.

1. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Greetings from the newest forum member in rainy ATL, just registered a few minutes ago!

This is my first post here so bear with me...I just yesterday bought a used Hartke rig and one of the 410TP's AL speakers buzzes a bit (the coil is OK btw)...a replacement from Hartke would cost $100. Would it make sense to buy some cheaper element instead to combine paper cone and original AL-cone sound? I paid just $200 for the whole rig (3500 in SKB rack case + 410TP) so I would not like to pay 50% of the rig's cost for a single speaker.

Alternatively...let me also know if someone has such a spare available at a good price...THANKS!

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd not be inlined to sink any money into one of the TP series cabs. Maybe disconnect/remove the speaker and call it a 310?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd drop in an Eminence Beta 10, it's specs are very forgiving of cabinet volume and tuning, it's a better driver than the Hartke and it's half the price. Here's one source:
    http://www.bltsound.com/

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd avoid those. They just don't have what it takes for professional use. Seems like your last comment reflects that.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You could argue that alright. MCM used to publish minimal TS specs on them; 92db, Qts .49, 20 oz magnet, 42hz or so (from memory). The rest of that series had really terrible specs (qts > 1, high fs, etc) but the 10's were 'not bad' for $15 back then. I made a pair or 2x10 cabs for under $120.

Since the TP series is small, sealed, and only handles 200w, I figure these are a pretty close match (but I agree, even in perfect condition the TP series is pretty lightly built for much abuse).

7. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Thanks guys for your advices. The 410TP is a 300W cabinet meaning 75W per speaker and the cheap 55-1300 seems to handle 70W so at least the wattage is close and its color matches the remaining Hartket speakers (good if I sell the cab in the future)...the cabinet has a small round port between the speakers so hopefully it does not change anything here. 75% of the cab's tone would still be from the original speakers so I think that 55-1300 is the way to go here (the risk is small!).

Using the cab as 3x10 would either lower or increase its impedance resulting a mismatch with the head's 8 ohm output.

Thanks again!

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a couple of good pulls from a 210tp that are 16 ohm.
    If that helps let me know. Yours for shipping.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    TP's are ported...and they are a little delicate by modern standards. So are the XL's.

They sure do sound good with a GK head though.....

10. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Hi Biker...check your email, I sent one to you!

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I hear ya....but I can't see ya.

I don't have pm or email I can find from you.

12. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Biker, strange that you did not get my email, I sent a new PM to you a minute ago. Tks.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    My mistake; their website says you are right.