1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing speakers question (not cabs)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Oct 24, 2013.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Hello TB, I have a GK neo 15 stack that I love. Tons of punch and mids but a little shy on the bottom. I've considered replacing the bottom cab 15 speaker with another brand, something with more heft in the low-end. Would the result be the same as mixing 2 different cabs?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, same thing

3. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    what bass with what gauge strings...what head ?

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    4 string medium gauge, Jazz, Stingray, or P with a GK 700rb2. Rock, blues, and country.

5. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Cabs are tuned to the speakers that will be put in it. If you replace the speaker the cab is no longer tuned to the speaker installed. It could work. It could be a disaster. Depends on if the cab matches the specs the new speaker requires.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 if you need more bottom, you'll need another cab entirely, something like an Acme B2 or two. But, you'll also need more power, those lows eat power fast.

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yep, you'll have both unknowns about cab to speaker tuning and phase response. In fact, this is worse in terms if unknowns than simply mixing two dissimilar cabs with their original speakers.