Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by luknfur, Jan 25, 2004.

1. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Have a wall of basses and have spent my share of time swapping electronics/pups around but frequently run into tone ballance issue. Either the E strings too fat or the G string's too bright. Have never tried mixing string sets in terms of gauge, type, or brands. So was wondering what the results were from players that have done so.
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It's been done. I believe upright players do it all the time. Of course, I'm drawing a blank now, but I read somewhere (BP magazine?) about a guy who uses a roundwound E and half rounds on his A D and G.

[edited a dumb spelling mistake. I before E...]
  3. i believe John Turner does this on some of his basses(his eight string fretless i remember him saying)mabye you can ask him about this.
  4. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I do this. My E and A strings on my P-bass were a little to wimpy for me, and the D and G strings where to much.

I fixed this by taking the E and A from GHS Bass boomers, I forget the gauge, but it's the heaviest 4 string set they make. This adds a ton more guts to them, plus i like the tension. I use the the D and G from a set of Epiphone regular gauge roundwound strings. They tend to have a less bright sound, so that solves that problem.

This works well for me.
  5. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I've actually thought about doing this for a while myself, mixing nickle rounds on the E and A with stainless steel rounds on the D and G. You get the round bottom of nickles on the low strings with the cut of stainless steels on the top. I have no idea if it would work, though. Maybe I should just get off my bumm and try it one of these days.
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I did it on my passive '51 P/J Benavente 5. It came with SIT stainless and I found it too zingy with no punch, and they felt stiff besides, but the B string felt and sounded good. I put D'addario XLs (nickel) on the E-A, and I'm happy with the results.