Mixing string sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ken FenderJazz, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I recently bought a 5 string fretless Warwick Fortress One. It came with a set of Elixirs on it. Great strings, I thought.

Then a buddy loaned me his fretless Fortress One, and he had Dean Markley flatwounds on it. Oh, the mwaah in the D and G strings!! This is heaven, I'm thinking, I love these strings, I'm dumping the elixirs.

And then I try the low strings - what an incredible thump they have. This is pretty neat, all I wanted to do with this bass all night long was play the Chicago version of I'm a Man. :D

Unfortunately, even though the thump is way cool, I don't want it for my primary sound. If my friend would just let me keep his bass forever, I would have roundwounds on one bass, and flats on the other. But as it is, I love the rumble and sustain the elixirs give me on the B and E strings, and the mwaah the flats give me on the D and G strings. For the A string I could probably go with either one.

So my question is: does anybody make string sets like this, half round-wound, half flat? Or am I just going to have to start buying two sets and throwing away half the strings? Is anyone else around here insane enough to do that? ( I think I know the answer to that question) ;)

Or does anybody like to have the opposite setup on their bass - flatwounds on the bottom, round on the top - I'll split a set with you! :p

Any advice always appreciated!
    Hail Hail Lion of Judah
    How powerful You are
    Victory Chant
  2. They make 1/2 round strings, you might want to try those out, i know a few guys around here use em- also NEVER throw away strings unless there broken or dead, you never know when u miht need one
  3. Well, I guess I do know the answer to that question - apparently everyone here is quite sane! :eek:
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head.
    The lunatic is in my head
    You raise the blade, you make the change
    You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane. - Brain Damage
  4. I don't see anything wrong with mixing sets. The difference in texture would bug me. I used Rotosound flats for a while and the G and D were flat but the A and E were much more like rounds than flats and it drove me crazy BUT it sounds like they might work for you. Don't let the "flat" in Rotosound flats put you off, these strings are plenty bright enough to slap. They're not my cup of tea, but they may be tailor made for you.
  5. Cool, thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind the next time I go string shopping.

Well here comes Gregory,
    Little Gregory Pecary
    The gregarious nocturnal swine...