1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing string through and bridge only stringing on one bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bheemer, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Bheemer

Bheemer

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a set of string through made labellas on a 5 string and want to try out a low b string that isn't made to be strung through. The bass is made to support both string through and bridge only stringing. Any reason not to mix them?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It's fine. I have done it. Usually, on a bass that can be strung both ways, I put at least the G string through the bridge to get a little more down force on the bridge saddle, to help boost sustain and tame twang, and at least the B and E top loaded so they don't bind or kink the core. I have strung the A and D both ways, depending on the string and what sounds good in relation to the others.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No reason not to. Mike Lull builds his basses with the B string through body, the rest top load. Warrior does the same but both B and E are through body. It's a great design that helps the outer wraps of the
    B string from going around the tuner post.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Carvin bridges are not large enough to accommodate even .125 B strings so I have to string both my LB76s through the body. I string everything else top load. I have never had an issue.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    That's one way to compensate for the B (or E) string post being too close to the nut.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I did alternating on two similar basses. A pair of Lakland 4-94s. One strung with E and D top-load while A and G were through-body. The other was reversed. Reversed it when I restrung them. This true side-by-side test showed me ther is absolutely no difference in feel or sound going top-load or through-body.

I
    Brfore this test I was positive string-through was better sounding and felt different under my plucking hand, but the facts said otherwise...

4StringTheorist likes this.
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    It may be best to keep a B top-loaded, if it's thick or stiff where it bends over the saddle (or is not taperwound) it's best to have a less extreme angle.
    Because the saddle needs to be set back so far for intonation this can cause an extreme downwards angle towards the string-through hole.
    It helps with intonation and tone to have a string come off the saddle in a straight line instead of going over the saddle in a curve.