Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing string types

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    So having been annoyed with being unable to hear notes played on the G string during rehersal, I tried something a bit different. I'm playing a Tribute L-2500 with LaBella tapewounds and stuck an old roundwound string on in place of the tapewound one. Or maybe it's a D string, it seems a good bit tighter than the other strings. Looks funky, like a missing tooth or something. But playing with the band last night I felt like I was onto something because not only could I hear the notes, but they seemed to blend well tonally. Unfortunately we don't have a recording setup so I can't sit back and give it a good listen, but it sure seems fine from what I'm hearing live. I'm considering ordering some single roundwound G's and putting them on all my flatwound basses.

Anyone tried this? Anyone do this regularly?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i know that upright players do this, and i was thinking of mixing a stainless g with my sadowsky set until it magically broke in last night. still not the sound i'm looking for though, shoulda stuck with stainless.