Mixing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jensby design, Dec 15, 2014.

1. I had dabbled with this.
    Put on a nickel E and G with stainless A and D.
    I met a guy once who used roundwound B, E, A, and D but a flatwound G.
    If I understand correctly Robert Trujillo uses a nickel B with stainless E, A, D, and G.

My stainless A and D where for chords to sound more clearly (had to lower the pick-up in the middle (p-bass) for volume) later switched to a lighter gauge of hybrid.
    The guy with the flatwound G did it to reduce string noise when sliding with his rough hands.

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I would like to hear what kind of results you guys have had.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Eventide, GHS Strings, G&L Guitars, NS Design, Tsunami Cables
    I'm very interested to read the other responses, as mixing strings is commonplace with classical musicians but I've rarely - if ever - heard about electric guitarists and bassists doing it.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I change strings one by one starting with the G so after changing the D and G, I'll usually plug in and see the difference.

It's never a sound or feel I'd want to stick with.

A different A & D sounds interesting. I'll try that next time I change strings.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    G strings tend to twang and E & B strings tend to thump. So I have used a flatwound stainless G with SS rounds, and I have used a stainless round B strings with other sets. Usually, before going to tapes, I would use the G string from the "old" set until it gave out so it wouldn't twang, and had extra E strings when they started to thump.

5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Sure, why not? I think there are more bass players who do this. If it works for you, go for it.

6. AndrewChalloner

AndrewChalloner

Feb 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Markbass Amplification
    I've got a different B string on my Lakland 5502. That's because I'm trying different strings through different basses and all my other basses are 4 strings. Don't want to keep buying B strings that I can't use on other basses. Once I get a set I'm happy with then I get the B string in the same type as the others. Jon I'm waiting on another set of GHS precision flats as I love them on my old Ibanez Roadstar II. Interested to hear what they sound like on the Lakland.

7. "The GHS Flea Signature Set uses the GHS Bass Boomers formula. The Flea Signature Bass String Set uses a special Stainless Steel and Nickel Plate on the .105 Low E String."
    So I guess the A,D, and G are nickle?

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    That's a bit of marketing BS right there. The Flea signature set is the same as the M3045 Boomers set. Flea has been a phenomenal endorser, and signature set is a "thank you!" for the years of support. You don't have to believe me; just check the backs of the sets and check the part numbers of both sets.

That said, there IS some more stainless steel wraps in the E and B strings on ALL the regular Boomers, when compared to the A, D, G and high C strings. I said marketing BS because they mentioned this in the Flea set and not the regular sets, in an effort to make it seem like there's something different.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This coming from a guy who's employed by the GHS marketing department? Kudos for your honesty.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    One of the biggest things I've been trying to do since I came aboard last year was get rid of a lot of the marketing jargon, which really only confused people. We used to use four different phrases for Alloy 52 in an effort to make them all sound different. Why? Alloy 52 is a pretty kick-butt material to use for strings, we should've been proudly standing behind the fact that we're one of the few that use it (with excellent results, but I'm understandably biased) over diluting it.

It's a long term goal.

Klonk, Root 5 and FerK like this.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Definitely using a flatwound G string with the rest roundwound sounds like a great idea!

This is the problem I have been wanting to address with my 97 Ibanez SR800 with Ernie Ball rounds....too twangy on the G plus finger noise.

I have to try this!

12. Nice!
    Personally I thought it was a little weird. I would suggest something like a pressurewound.

13. wrench45us

wrench45us Guest

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a LaBella Quarter Round B string on a G&L L2500 where the rest of the strings are GHS Brite Flats.

for whatever reason the GHS Brite Flat B was dead, but the LaBella fit right in, so it stays.
    at least till a full order for medium weight LaBella Quarter Rounds get filled, but the upper 4 GHS Brite Flats might just stay as their response and tension is just about ideal for me.

14. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you find a string you like, you should get 4 more just like it.

15. So . . . You most play a 5-string.

16. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No, I most play a 4 string.

Mixing string sizes can cause phasing problems.

17. Then why, after you found 1 string, would you
    math scary
    Anyway the only problems mixing string types is volume/sound differences which may be just what your "sound" needs.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Evidently my joking around went right over your head.

19. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    I'm probably gonna ask this question on another thread if I find a better one but my question is about mixing gauges. Does anyone know about using a heavy E string with a medium set. I use DR high beams that I believe are .45 .65 .85 and .105 Has anyone used a .110 with those other gauges? Is it a larger tension switch? Thanks

20. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    That's sort-of what helps make a 'balanced set'- allowing the tension across the set to be near the same, not having an E or a B that is 'floppy' due to low tension.

Check out D'Addario's or GHS' tension charts.