1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walruswaspaul, Mar 14, 2008.

1. walruswaspaul

walruswaspaul

Jan 23, 2008
    Hi,

Was wondering if anybody could help me with this. I have aquired a new bass that is currently strung with roundwounds. The only spare flatwounds I have are different brands , I have a gauge 100 chromes and gauges 70 , 60 , 40 Ernie ball flats (?) , as these are the only spares I have at the moment and I dont get paid for another 3 weeks I was thinking of stringing the bass with these as I hate roundwounds. The thing is chromes are a heavier tension string than ernie ball flats and I was wondering if the gauge 100 chromes string would cause any neck problems being as its being paired with lighter tension flats (70,60,40) , obviously I know that the E string is going to feel a lot stiffer than the other strings , anyone?

2. Should be fine.

3. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Your neck will be fine, especially if it's only for a short time. I have yet to try the EB flats, but from what I understand they are not nearly as bright as the Chromes, so your biggest problem with mixing in this situation will not be tension, but the the uneven sound, which will be compounded by the fact that the Chrome is tighter than the EB's...