Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing the old with the new..help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 29, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My mate has gone away for a 6 week holiday, and he didnt want to leave his bass rig in his caravan (where he lives :D) so he asked me to look after it. Its a Hartke 3500 and a Hartke VX410. Ive been playing with it and i like it, i wanna get something similar in the future, but...what i wanna know right NOW...

is can i put my Peavey TNT115BW into the equation? The 3500 has 2 outputs both a 8ohms, and the peavey has alot of holes for leads everywhere :D Im not too sure what to do. can anyone inlighten me with their infinite wisdom as to how i can mix the 2 together and get a 1x15 into the equation?

Cheers!
    -Kirbo

2. Don't attach a power amp output to any of the Peavey's inputs! If the Hartke has a pre-amp output (or effects send) you can hook up the Peavey using one of those and either the instrument input on the Peavey or the effects return! Enjoy - I do the same thing when I need the extra oomphof the TNT's 15" driver - works like a champ!

3. I have checked out the Hartke and the Peavey block diagrams on their web sites, and there is no neat way of connecting the two systems. By that I mean that whatever you do, you will have to adjust both volume controls every time you want to change your sound level, because there is no 'post-volume' line-out on either system.

Assuming that you want to stay with the Hartke preamp, connect your bass to it, as normal. Switch off both amps, and turn both volume controls to 0. Take a second instrument lead, and connect the Hartke fx-send socket to the Peavey fx-return socket. Turn both amps back on, and turn each one up on its own, listening for signs of overload or distortion as you play. The Hartke fx send is twice as hot as the Peavey fx return, so you could have an overload. If it doesn't distort, put earplugs in, and turn both up.

If you do hear distortion from the Peavey, try connecting the Hartke fx send to the Peavey instrument input, with the sensitivity set to high. This will give you more control over the size of signal, (but may also give you more hiss).

Whatever you do, remember to turn everything down (and preferably off) before you connect or disconnect anything.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Sweet! thanks!! Im sure my neighbours dont appreciate that, but they can manage, they are old :D