1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mixing transistor and tube signals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pulse, Sep 30, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hello

I am about to record my album, and I have a transistor rig I love the sound of and an all tube rig I love the sound of.

I am thinking about combining both.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about mixing the two signals.
    What problems can occur if any, and what comes out well on the recording if anyone has experimented this way before.

Cheers
    J

2. Split your bass' output signal, drive both amps and a DI (or better, drive a DI with parallel outs that you can send to the amps), record both amps, and record your direct signal too. From that you will have a load of choices when it comes time to mix. I don't like recording that way, but if your goal is to have a lot of options, then go for it.

3. I've done it, just make sure you keep the cabinets as far apart from each other as possible. When I did it, the SS amp was in a different room and I dimed the tube head (it was a 100 watt Sunn something at the studio). The mixing is a matter of the type of music and a variety of other factors. In my case, the low end was EQ'ed up on the SS for consistent lows then compressed, and and the mid's/high's upped on the tube for that nice dirty sound