mixing tubes & solid state

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Dec 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I found out today that if I run the preamp (send) of my solid state amp to my tube amp's return, it sounds pretty good. I can EQ it like I want, and then get that tube overdrive, which sounds good.

I also discovered that if I do the opposite & run my tube amp's send to the return of the solid state amp, that also sounds pretty good.

I only did this for short bursts, and not very loud, because I was concerned about the difference in wattage & keeping the tube amp in standby too long.
    The send from the tube amp can operate with the amp in standby, but I have read it's bad to leave a tube amp in standby for long periods.

I was also careful to turn on the power soaker in the tube amp. It's got settings for 18 watts, 5 watts, and off, so you can run it w/o plugging in a speaker cable.

If I crank it up from the SS preamp over to the much less wattage tube amp for power, can I foul it up by pumping too much power into it?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It's not really "power", it is voltage with very little current. Effects send or preamp out is at a pretty standard voltage level so don't be worried about it.

10cc, BassmanPaul and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I thought that, but figured I would turn everyone on to what I am trying to accomplish & see if there are any shortcomings.

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    A friend of mine left a Peavey Windsor at my house for a couple months.

Nothing has ever sounded as good as my Ampeg SVT III send plugged into the Peavey's return. I ran that into a 2x15. Amazing tone, but well beyond unpractical.

10cc and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    My Broughton P-15 pre amp sounded good through the return on my 800rb. Also plugged into my 69 Acoustic 361.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021