1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing two different branded 8 Ohm 410s but different wattage.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El Raro, Oct 13, 2013.

1. I'm "upgrading" my gear and picking up my new 410 today after work. Its an Ashdown ABM 410H, rated 600 watts at 8 Ohms. My current 410 is a Sovtek lawsuit cab assembled in Australia using Trace-Elliot specs but sold under the Sovtek name rated at 450 watts @ 8 Ohms. Yeah, the 90's were a weird decade.

I'm just wondering, out of curiosity, what kind of physical problems might I encounter if using both cabs through my amp. I've been explained that sonically there may be undesirable nuances and a fair amount of tonal sacrifice but I'm more interested in the potential of damage occuring - if any at all.

For the record, I don't intend on using this set up as a permanent thing. I just really want to know how loud my SWR Bass 350 can crank at 4 Ohms :D But at the same time, I don't want to risk blowing a speaker or two since I want to sell the Sovtek while its still perfectly functional.

2. Well the two cabs used together will be rated to accept 900 watts. Will your SWR output over 900 watts to your cabs?

3. Definitely not. At its maximum (2 Ohms) it pushes 450 watts. Otherwise, at 4 Ohms, I'll be looking at 350 watts.

4. Well the amp cannot exceed the input maximum of the cabs, the cabs do not exceed the load minimum of the amp. Only thing I can see getting damaged is your hearing and possibly some picture frames/glass. :)

5. I can live with eirther circumstance haha. Thanks, mate. Appreciate the help.

6. And then there is the peak amp wattage, might be more like 700W into 4ohm.

And cab makers tending to exaggerate power handling, work on half rated power to onset of distortion, all of a sudden you see why sad cone stories are more common than they should be.

7. Even cutting the 900 watt "rms" input rating in half at 450 watts for the cabs, the amp puts out 350 watts "rms" at 4 ohms (175 per cab). I STILL don't foresee a problem IME/IMHO.

I would bet even Behringer 10's would handle 44 watts each ;)

8. Half of 700W is 350w each cab, could be fart city for the 450w cab with the wrong EQ and SWR having no highpass. It's not like you wouldn't hear it complaining but some people are dumb that way. They break things by assuming the ratings mean all that distortion is just harmless "tone".

9. Hey OP, you'll be safe, just don't go crazy !
    might sound good, might sound crap...

Let us know how it sounds :)

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Should be no problem. Each speaker can handle the amp by itself, so the two of them give you a 100% safety factor. Don't worry about it. Sound wise - they will not be identical, but so what? You might enjoy the blending of the 2 sounds.

DO check the phase to be sure that the 2 cabs are in phase with each other.

Level wise? Doubling cabs will double your SPL - it will be LOUD! Much louder than using a much bigger amp with one cab. There is no substitute for cone area.