Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing up Bergantino cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know there are quite a few Bergantino-ites around. I just wanted to see if anyone is mixing the different cabinets...i.e. one HT112 and one HT210, a la HT322. Or even two HT112's and one HT210.

2. Maybe I can help.
    I own a HT322, HT212, HT112, EX112.
    I have tried all combinations.
    Driven by QSC PLX2402 and Demeter VTBP01S
    Lakland Basses Active and Passive.

322 + 212 = everything very big WOW.
    322 + both 112 = same as above a little more punchie and focused.
    212 + both 112 = very big not as focused as with 322. Almost gets a little lost..
    112 + 112 = very nice big sounding punchie portable.

Out of all of them the HT322 is the best to me. Huge bottom, very punchie mids and great highs. My favorite. The two 112 are a very very close second and just a little different flavor. Acutally, aside from the weight (lifting only) of the 322 it's really the easiest for me to move and manuver around on a stage. The two 112 are sort of stuck were you put them unless you take down and move the whole setup, which happens in my six piece band on small stages. Either the drummer can't get out or the horn dudes....or something.

I love having the two 112's at home for jammin' or other sit in gigs. Take them both or just one. I leave the 322 at rehearsal place and get help from the bandmates. I can handle it myself though.

3. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm running a 2 x10 and 1 x15 thru the QSC 2402 and a Ashdown RPM pre ...very big sound!

?? for Big Sting..do you run yours stereo/bridged/Mono with the QSC? I'm still trying to get the best combo.

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Actually this is not acurate the driver in the 322 is the same as the 212 but not the same as the 112 it is desighned to go alot lower. the 112 is desighned for more punchy mids and a tighter bottom.

I asked jim about that if you serch you may find my post that has jims responce.

AJ

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Hman, I just sent Big String a PM asking him the same thing. I run an HT 210 with a 15, but I'm using an RMX 2450 (which has a similar wattage rating to the PLX). Running each channel at 8ohms doesn't seem to be cutting it in my rock band, in that my amp is clipping (running out of pwr). I'm afraid 2000+ watts might be an overkill though...

Big String, please disregard my PM if you want to just answer this publicly...

Thanks!
    -AC

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    If my deal to trade one of my Bag End cabs fails then I will probably be looking at trading in one of the Bag Ends for a Berg 2x10.

So I was just wondering if anyone had tried the 2x10 with an HT112. This is kinda like the HT322 isn't it? Andrew, I'll do a search for that post. I remember reading that one. I'm really not looking to match, exactly the HT322 but to get somewhere in the neighborhood.

My thoughts are smaller, easier to haul which is good for my aching back.

7. As usual Andrew is on the money. His statement about the drivers is exact. Jim Bergantino also told me much the same. I don't know what the problem would be why Aram is not cutting in his Rock Mix. ??

Bob Lee (QSC) and Jim Bergantino would be best qualified to help you.

Maybe you need to turn up your internal volume on your demeter for some more gain in the signal...:meh:

8. Maybe you need to turn up your internal volume on your demeter for some more gain in the signal...:meh: [/B][/QUOTE]

On your Demeter...sorry I forgot to say that.

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im sure it would be great I havent tried it though and keep in mind they just changed the 210 for more lows it rated a 500 watts now (imagine 2)

Ive thought about getting a 210/115 set up and I thoiugh Id probally get the 115 first and try it with 12.

As I posted in the other thread I think about this then use my rig and think why?:)

Did you try another 112 with yours yet? easy on the back and KILLIN!;)

AJ

10. I always run my cabs one channel per. Many guys love the Bridged thing. I don't hear any difference. That is not the purpose of Bridging anyway... Most people think they will get louder. If I'm not mistaken after all the posts on this subject, you benift from more "headroom" only. I'm am far from an expert on any of this stuff. Some say turn your amp gains all the way up and set your pre. Some say set your pre to the highest signal before clipping and then adjust the gains on you amp.

For me, I just turn up the gains all the way all the time and set my pre and bass to what sounds good. I rarely run out of volume to cut the mix.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Big String- thanks for the response (and the PM). I should be more specific, it is JUST enough power in my rock band, but for some reason any more throws it into clipping. I really feel that 450w/channel would be louder than what I have been hearing.

I've tried different preamps and have fooled with the internal trim on the Dem, but it just changes the proportions (i.e., when I roll off the internal trim, I have to boost the gain on the Dem, but I don't get any more output). The preamp is around 9 or 10 o'clock when the amp starts clipping...

I'm still trying different things, and I haven't ruled anything out (it might even be the bartolini circuit in my bass, which I installed myself). I also did speak to both Jim and Bob on this, but it's hard for them to give me a good diagnosis since 'loud enough' is so subjective, and also they really can't re-create what's going on in my band situation without being there...

I will most likely try bridging the amp in the next practice, because I feel like running out of power and clipping is worse than sheer wattage. I'll have to make sure not to crank it at gigs though :(

12. Aram,
    Yes you are correct about just changing proprotions. My minor adjustment on my Dem just made it easier to go from my active to passive without going to far above 12:00. At least it seemed that way.

I'm thinking your have a problem somewhere else in your chain if you have turn your Dem up to 9 or 10. As I said mine is never higher than approx. 1:30 and set the same on the internal. Most of the time it's around 11:00 maybe 12:00.

Try a different bass if you can.

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Big String -- I'm sorry, I mean 9:00-10:00, not 9 or 10 on the settings. It is definitely strange though, that the QSC is clipping at that low a setting (on both preamps that I tried)...

The annoying thing is that I have an internal trim on my bart circuit too, so getting all of these in synch is a pain. I think before I bridge, I will set all trims flat, max out the pwr amp volumes, and adjust the gain on my bartolini. Hopefully that will give me enough juice without clipping the amp.

If that doesn't work, though, I'm going to have to bridge the amp......keep your fingers crossed ;)

-AC

14. Aram,
    I just need to read your post a little better. So, I'm sorry...not you.

Did you turn back down the internal on the Dem?
    If you Bartolini is up real high that could make a big difference. Your right about the electronics being so touchy and needing to be balanced out. Good luck.

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Big String -- I tried the internal gain on the Dem at several settings, but wherever it was I had to always compensate with the actual gain on the front panel...

The other preamp I tried (a carvin combo, using the 'send' output), is not able to get much above 11:00 either...

I think flat on everything is the way to go, and let my bass' volume knob be the 'master gain'...If i'm still clipping the QSC then I'm either in need of more power (and hence need to bridge it), or something's awry. I'm reluctant to take the QSC to the shop, though, because if there's nothing wrong with it, it is going to cost me :eek:

But thanks for your suggestions -- I will let you know what goes down with everything set flat.

On the plus side, at least the TONE is great :cool: :D

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tried the HT322 next to a 210/112 setup a couple of weeks ago. The 210 was the new design. The 322 was deeper sounding because the 12" speaker is tuned lower in that enclosure. The 322 sounds huge. The 210 with the 112 isn't as deep but it has a different character(sp?) to the mids. I liked this combo a lot. I would personally go with the 210/112 simply for portability. The sound is going to be incredible either way and I would say that more mids from the single twelve will cut through a band better anyway.

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Might the larger cabinet size of the HT 322 have something to do with the deeper sound as well? Both setups are definitely phenomenal, I heard them through a Fafner, and they were easily the best rigs in the store.

18. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Whoo! That's what I'm going to be using, the Fafner.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Ht112 is a different animal than the HT2/12 in both drivers and cabinet size. I have them both, the 1/12 is more focused.......and the 2/12 just has massive low end with a very sweet hi end. I sometimes run the HT310 & HT212 together in one of the louder bands I play in.......so I moved up to a QSC 3002 to avoid any clipping problems and have the head room I like to have. I also use a Demeter pre........I've had this rig for quite awhile and hundreds of gigs........me still likey very much:D

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY