Mixing Volume pots for passive Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lackey, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK, here's the deal: I've got a Yamaha TRB6 that I love, but want more lowend, mids, and less brittle highs from. Also, the circuitboards in the stock preamp are shorting out, and I don't appreciate the 3 position "mid" knob, so the whole thing is coming out, to be replaced with a simple 2 or 3 knob passive system.

So, I just bought some Bartolini G6 "deep tone" pickups for it, as well as 2 volume pots to be wired J-bass style, totally passive. (unsure about adding passive tone pot - probably should). My plan is to run the neck pickup thru a 500k volume pot for glassier high end, and the bridge pickup thru a 250k volume pot for warmer mids and less treble.

Now, does this sound like a good idea? I usually run the bridge pup solo'd for fingerstyle, adding the neck pickup whenever I slap/tap or need a deeper and clearer tone. Does anybody think there will be any volume difference between the two pot ratings that couldn't be corrected with simple pup height adjustment?

I'm looking to get a Bona/Kennedy/DiPiazza/Garrison type finger tone out of the bridge p'up, and Wooten/Miller out of the neck. (obviously this isn't gonna be possible for many reasons, but you get the general idea ;) )

I'm also about to do all the soldering myself. Wish me luck!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think the choice of pot will make less of a difference than you are hoping for.

The Bart "deep tone" pickups I've tried have been quite muted on the high end, lack or warmth has never been an issue but (for me anyway) lack of high end has been. But that's my sound preferences.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ah, good point David. I keep forgetting that the Barts in my Tobias have reeally muted high end, so maybe I'll just go with 500k pots all around and cut the treble from there as necessary.