1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixwiz3 16 channel effects ...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by UPeopleJam, Oct 31, 2013.

1. UPeopleJam

UPeopleJam

Oct 15, 2013
    OK, with everyone's input here, I have decided to keep the mixwiz3 and us a basic Tascam DP-07 recorder plugged into the A/B out's for live recording. I am sure it's not the best way of doing it but this should at least give us something decent to listen to. On to my next question, lol ... We have 3 vocalist's and as my username states, we are a "Jam band" ... Besides excellent amps, mains, subs, the mixwiz and a DBX Driverack I have no other gear for effects, processors, gates, etc ... I haven't used the Mixwiz live yet, just bought it but we have a gig in a couple weeks. Do you think the on board effects are good enough to use or should I be thinking about a TC M ONE XL ? That is where my thought process is taking me anyway, unless you guy's who have done this forever have a different/better way to drop 400+ in my rack, lol. Thanks again for any advise !!

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    The effects can be edited and saved. Editing SW is downloadable.

Onboard FX - 16 FX programs with external editing software connected via MIDI

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    From what I understand, the onboard FX are pretty durn decent. You may want to consider upgrading / adding an external device in the future but I see no immediate need. Do spend some extra time with the board well before the gig. There's nothing worse than dealing with an untried / untested piece of gear.

BTW, a great vocal effect is a very short delay cascaded into a reverb to soften up the edge.

Riis

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    IME, the effects are very usable. We used a 'verb and a short delay, and it really sounded good.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    We bought outboard gear. Ended up sitting on a shelf. The reverbs and delays are very usable on the mix wiz.

6. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    They're very useable.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1 on the MixWix3 effects being good. I owned one for years and never used any outboard effects with it. I had some outboard effects gear (TC Electronic M350 and Lexicon MX400) and never felt the need to use them.

Those are outstanding little boards. I sold mine last spring and regret it.

8. wicksy

wicksy

Nov 4, 2013
    On board effects are great on the mix wizard. For recording live gigs, I've had some really good results by taking a line out of each channel and running them into my m-audio profire 2626. We are only a 3 piece so 3 for vocals, 1 guitar, 1 bass, kick, snare and over head. I have toyed with the idea of sending a mix of all the mic'd drums to aux send 4 and sending that to 1 channel on the profire instead of just using over heads but the overheads did quite a good job of picking up the toms. Then mixed in protools.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you're gonna buy outboard gear for the mixwix, some graphic EQs for mains and for monitors (even 15-bands would be fine), and a compressor for the vox would be useful.

with a typical dual-channel comp, use one side just as a gate for the kick drum, then use the other side just as a mild compressor inserted into the main left or right insert, pan all the vocals hard into that side, pan everything else hard to the other side, and use the mono out for the PA.

that way you get the smoothed-out vocals on everybody, but with no compression of monitor sends (a Bad Thing).

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd imagine the driverack can handle any eq needs.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    for a preset curve for the mains, maybe, but forget about quickly knocking out any feedback!

also, no help for the monitors.