1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MJM China Fuzz vs Watson Superfuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bovine mind, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i just bought a watson superfuzz to replace my PE depth charge. the upper octave sounds much more pronounced than the depth charge and more hi gain, i use it in the mid scoop mode.

not much info found with a search on the MJM or the watson. how do they compare?

i'm looking for a very buzzsaw oriented super hi gain fuzz sound with punch and no loss of creamy fat low end. Joe Preston of Thrones has my ideal tone. I've seen an original superfuzz used in some live photos. any thoughts?

sound:

especially around 2:50, but a little less middy. anyone know what kind of bass that is as well?

2. I haven't messed with the MJM. I used to use a Depth Charge (an old orange one with no LED) and currently use a Wattson Superfuzz though. The Superfuzz circuit is a bit more focused on the upper octave. I did some work on my Wattson using the included schematics. I put in some nice Japanese electrolytic capacitors of the same value and swapped the ceramic caps in the tone stack for some nice film caps. I had to jack up the bias trimmer for the transistors to compensate. The volume of the fundamental coming through is much closer to that of the upper octave now. It doesn't sound quite right on guitar now but it slays through my bass rig. I couldn't be happier with how it came out. The Wattson is pretty easy to work with but check their website for the schematic update if you're going to do any work on it. There are a couple of value discrepancies. I use mine in 2 mode most of the time through a tube rig and it kills.

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    interesting, thanks. i'm very hesitant and underskilled when it comes to modding pedals, so i'm probably not going to mess with it.

"The volume of the fundamental coming through is much closer to that of the upper octave now."

could you elaborate more on how that sounds different than the stock function of the pedal?

what didn't you like about the depth charge?

4. Out of the box the sound is more focused on the upper octave overtone. It's just the way the Superfuzz circuit sounds. The upper octave is what gives it its "nasally" quality, if that makes any sense. The brassmaster/Depth Charge is the same way. By using a clean signal blend the Depth Charge puts some fundamental back into the distorted signal that is focused on the upper octave. When I first got my Wattson I started using an external blender pedal (a Barge VB-jr) to dial more bottom octave back in. With the mods now I just run it straight in line and I have no problems. I didn't stop liking the Depth charge per se, I sold it for food money as a broke student in a pinch.

5. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i've got my watson dialed in almost the same way, in a barge VFB-2 with just a hint of clean signal leaking through. i'm trying to fine tune a dense wall of buzzing fuzz sort of tone. i play in a heavy power trio and am trying to fill in as much octave space as possible.

6. What kind of rig are you running? The only change I make at my amp is to flip in my "Bright" switch on my pre to let more of the overtones through. My cab has no tweeter and rolls off above 5K and it seems to keep the highs in the right spot.

7. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    As I understand SuperFuzz dosn't keep bottom end well? Is it still usefull without adding some blender?

8. I hate the Depth Charge, but loved the time I spent with the Wattson. I feel like the Depth Charge sounds like a swarm of bees made of tin, all crashing and clanking together. That's just my experience and opinion, not to put down those that use them.

However, I loved the Wattson. I thought both modes had their uses. Mode 1 feels a little more hollow. Not quite blended, but it is certainly easier to distinguish between notes. Then Mode 2 was a beast, totally fuzzy, buzzy in the right ways. I felt that the gain on the pedal had a very nice range, so I could get a range of intensities in each mode, and I love the Expander control, which REALLY helped with the low end, to a point where I could even boost it. I haven't gotten to use it in a band setting yet to see if that low end creates total mud, but it sounded like it would fare well.

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Now that I have none left to sell...

[​IMG]

Talk to Mario @ Robotfactory, he might be willing to work up a custom version for you now that my pedals are sold.

Another pedal to look at... The Audio Monk Fuzz Potion (which is also a two mode superfuzz).

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    tlsf! ftw!

11. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i'm running a stingray 4 tuned to DACA > ampeg svt classic [ with a tube bias issue i need to take care of ] > ampeg 810 + traynor 2x15.

after a few days of testing the limits of this pedal with my rig i'm very satisfied. the expander's noise gate function is truly a blessing. along with my rocktron hush rack and isp decimator my rig is now dead silent one moment and totally disemboweling when i want it to be. the upper octave has such a terrifying intensity, especially when i boost the signal a bit with my chrome morley power wah fuzz set to volume boost mode. can't recommend it enough for doom/sludge heads. it pretty much nails the Joe Preston tone and adds some extra juicy harmonic flavor.

12. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    what exactly is the deal with the expander control? i thought it was more or less a noise gate similar to the "pinch" control on the mammoth? how does it affect low end?

i've used the wattson in a band setting and it competes. of course some tend to think my tone is full of mud. sludge more like, i love the genre. it's all about that powersaw upper octave in this case. i might open up the pedal and adjust the trimpot to allow even more of that upper.

13. The trim pot is worth messing with. It might take a little time to get it dialed in but is capable of getting you a bit more of what you're after.

14. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i can't find much info on how to tweak it, i've never adjusted one before. when i open up the pedal, which direction will i turn it to allow more of the upper octave?

will i lose anything in the tone from doing so?

15. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    definitely interested in this thing but i'm not one to buy before trying out with my rig.

16. I don't think it matters which direction you turn it. Just turn it slowly and check on the sound you're getting. The circuit has been adapted to work on different trimmer settings unlike the originals. It's set up to sound like the original Shin-Ei fuzz out of the box. You have to adjust the trimmer to get into later Univox Superfuzz territory. If you don't like the change you can always put it back to the factory setting.

17. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    awesome, thanks. is it pretty easy to spot the trimpot once you open it up?

18. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    so nobody has any love for the MJM China Fuzz?

what about the Guyatone TZ-2, is the watson really that much better?

19. It's pretty easy to find. There's not a whole lot on the board and it's towards the center. You just need a little phillip's head to turn it.

20. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    great. any label or color on or near it? i'm completely green when it comes to adjusting electronics.