1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MJQ covers Ornette: Lonely Woman

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by NortyFiner, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA

gerry grable likes this.
  2. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks for the clip.
    However :) One of my pet peeves is the "modern" hip hop usage of "cover." I would prefer "plays" or "interprets."
    Does Edgar Meyer "cover" Bach? Are we all covering Ellington or any of our jazz or pop composers?
    Peggy Lee covered Lil Greene in the true sense of the word and became famous for doing it. Pat Boone was notorious for recording covers, too. By the way, I'm not disparaging them in any way. That's the way it was, and it's worth remembering it.

3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Given that we're talking about a free jazz piece, "interpret" would definitely be a better term. :)

4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm not a John Lewis fan and that did nothing to change my opinion. And i wonder what Bags was thinking, hating Ornette like he did

Don Kasper likes this.
  5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    A few "covers" that don't suck the life out of this tune are -

Old And New Dreams

Quest live in Europe

And dig Freda Payne!

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"MJQ" - I've always considered their name, however numerically accurate, to be stylistically ironic.
    IMHO.

7. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I like John Lewis on some pre-MJQ things with Lester Young and Bird, but in the MJQ i just can't get into it, the stuff of theirs that i do like is almost in spite of him. There's a big Mosaic box that i periodically think about getting, in large part because that's a lot of really great Percy to pass up, but in the end i just haven't been able do it

Don Kasper likes this.
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's probably all Lewis, from his and Ornette's joint tenure at Lenox.

I just got hipped to that Freda Payne recording recently, that is seriously bad. Sorry I missed you at the most recent sophomore parade, I had the all drummer group...

9. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe Big P too, he was as into Ornette and Cherry as Lewis was, and he and Lewis were the first big proselytizers for them. He talks about it a little in this interview. And of course Bags was on record as calling Ornette a fraud

Aha, I'm just realizing my initial statement needed a few more words to accurately express my thought. I should have said "And i wonder what Bags was thinking while playing that, hating Ornette like he did".

Absolutely, Art Davis seriously driving the bus all over that record

Yeah, i had all the bass players with Reggie and Schnitter, big laughs. Wanna get some lunch or something in January?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  10. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010

Also, there is the version played by Zietlin, Haden and Granelli: Live at the Trident. I have all my music on the original vinyl albums, so I can't upload them, or at least, uploading is beyond my purview of computer expertise.

11. I've only heard that album once, but it's an amazing one. I think that album was the first recording of Haden using the drop D tuning for Lonely Woman

12. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    It is a wonderful album.

But, learn something every day. I never knew he ever used alternate turnings, but since I never played along with records and never bothered about keys, I can see why it could slip by. He was an amazing player who always managed to impress me. He had that country twang that was so personal. I always said of his playing, and especially soloing, that "you can hear him think."

13. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Never heard this before, thanks for mentioning it Gerry

jazzcat_13 likes this.
  14. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

"MJQ covers Ornette: Lonely Woman"?
    Maybe this thread could be renamed - "MJQ smothers Ornette: Lonely Woman".
    (I'm a bad person.... I know.)
    See (some of) you in Hell!
    Thanks.

Michael Karn and gerry grable like this.

15. Just learnt of this version Ornette did with David Izenzon and Charles Moffett

16. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Gotta post this one!

jazzcat_13 likes this.

17. Just found this interesting version Ornette Coleman did with Charlie Haden, David Izenzon, and Ed Blackwell. I love finding all the different interpretations of this piece!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016