1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MLB 2019

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gaolee, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I waited a respectful few days after the end of the World Series to say 'wait until next year.' Well, now it's time. Wait until next year! Never mind the lack of a farm system, the aging out of most of their team, and all that. The Mariners are in first place! And, on a roll that will end in a World Championship. We can discuss all kinds of things until a year from now, but the 2019 World Champion is a settled fact already, or at least until the season starts. The countdown can start now.

blastoff99 likes this.
  2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

After the Phillies win the off season by snagging Realmuto and Kershaw they will...

finish the season.

Ideally they will;

Let Machado walk and sign Harper that way they can sign Patrick Corbin and have a nice bull pin with 3 legit starters in Nola, Arrieta and lefty Corbin.

Then they can swing for the fences with the two above :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    the harp unstrung likes this.
  3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I had no idea every major free agent was begging to play in Philly.:roflmao: Seriously though, they are clearly on an upward swing. It will be interesting to see whether they can add pieces to challenge the Braves and how the Nats do without Harper.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Look at their cap space :D Shoot for the moon man!

GregC likes this.
  5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Altuve/Correa/Springer love triangle will dominate the diamond next season. Resistance is futile.

6. Gaolee

It is the first of November and the stove is already getting hot. As it should.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Kershaw re-ups with the Dodgers. I am glad for that. He seems like a good dude, and is one great pitcher.

-Mike

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He took the approx. $70 million for the two years in his current contract, plus $25 million for a third, at a time his stuff is starting to go south. Give me 2% of that, and I'll be even nicer.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I like Kershaw and seems to be a somewhat humble guy. That said, the only problem with Kershaw is he gets the post season jitters.

slobake likes this.
  10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I like him too. It is just unfortunate he plays for the Dodgers. ;) Your team had a great season even thought the end was rough. Good luck next season (of course, unless the Dodgers are playing the Giants).
    Some great games in the WS I enjoyed watching them.

the harp unstrung and Stewie26 like this.
  11. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

The SFGiants are without a GM right now and they don't seem to be in a hurry to get one. I think they are wise doing that, the best trades and deals come closer to Christmas anyway.
    I predict Posey will be even better next year after surgery on his hip. I also think Bumgarner will be good but maybe not as good as his prime. He could improve with age though. Some pitchers just learn to pitch better in their later years.
    Crawford will still play like a Golden Glover at SS, Belt will be gone and I don't know who will be playing First. Our starting pitching will be good if we trade Samardjza and Cueto, let young guys on the staff pitch. Rodriguez and Suarez will be solid pitchers, after them and Bumgarner the hope is some other rookies will step up. Maybe start Dyson.
    I hope we trade Hunter Strickland and the rest of the bullpen looks good. Not much chance the Giants will get Harper and I hope they don't. He is a great ballplayer but he wouldn't be a good fit in the Giants organization.
    If the Giants are smart they will go young and start building up their farm system. Let go of their aging starting pitchers and trade for some good prospects. There is a loyal fan base here and they will understand what the Giants are doing. We all remember how the Giants came out of nowhere in 2010 with a bunch of young pitchers. The Giants do better with a balance team instead of trying to build a team around one or two superstars. The Bonds years taught them that.
    I predict the Giants will make a wild card slot and surprise everyone again by winning the WS. But then I am an optimist. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The Mariners just traded away my favorite player on the roster, Mike Zunino.
    At least he is closer to home (Cape Coral, FL) now.

-Mike

13. Gaolee

I saw that this morning. What were they thinking? Yes, his bat was awful. But I'm not aware that they have anybody any better waiting in the wings. They shot themselves in the foot. Again.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. Gaolee

As are we all this time of year. Even Mariners fans.

slobake likes this.
  15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My opinion is they don't have baseball people running the team. They have financial people and entertainment people running the team now.
    Making money and entertaining fans is the priority at Safeco Field these days.

-Mike

buldog5151bass likes this.
  16. Gaolee

Lousy baseball will eventually not entertain anybody or make any money.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  17. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon

Joshua likes this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, James Paxton off to play for the Yankees.

-Mike

klejst likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Aren't they all...

20. Gaolee

The Mariners are officially rebuilding from the looks of it. It wouldn't surprise me to see a whole lot more turnover. I doubt they will do much re-signing.

MJ5150 likes this.