1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MLS season starts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Ok, I'm sure this won't be a very popular thread, but MLS has officially started...does anybody follow the MLS at all?

Tonight was a great inaugural debut for Dynamo Houston - Brian Ching scored 4 goals! Too bad he can't seem to do that for the U.S. national team :spit:

I know I'm looking forward to the season, since we finally have a team here.

Anyone else?

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Go A's

Going to San Jose Giants game next week.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    :rollno: :D

He's already wasted, and it's barely 10PM out here.

-Mike

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    How so? :D

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh, I don't know. For one, this thread is about soccer, not baseball. For two, the Giants play in San Francisco, not San Jose. :D

-Mike

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Crap... eh now i am depressed for being a dumbarse... i need more beer.

btw I was talking about San Jose giants:

http://www.sjgiants.com/

Anyway, now on to MLS, San Jose earthquakes moved. no football for me this year but world cup is here... Hopefully Earthquakes will come back next year.

For the finals of world cup we are going to be camping up in sierras as we do every week for like 10 days so we are bringing dish, TV and generator with us to watch it out in the wild :) Going to be so much fun!

And yes i do care, football is awesome... so MJ :spit: take that!

I still don't understand how you can throw away a winning team.

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

Woops, my bad. Sorry bro!

Yes, football is awesome, the American brand. I haven't quite taken to soccer yet. I try. I watch it on Fox Sports World every now and then. It's a cool sport, just not quite my thing. If my friend from high school was not a super stud goalie in Europe somewhere, I probably wouldn't even care.

-Mike

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    NP, I still didn’t read the title right so I am still a dufus in this thread :D

Well you somewhat have to be careful with watching it on TV. It is world wide so there are a lot of different styles. I personally think European is the better one, no matter how much better some other countries over European are in world cup, style wise imo they are more boring. Usually dive too much, I hate diving, it’s more interesting when they actually fight for the ball not just fall down.

Watch few good matches of world cup, you might enjoy it. Also when you watch it next time for whatever reason, don’t make mistake most Americans make. Don’t just watch the ball, always watch what other players as well, as are doing that’s were plays usually happen.

See I played it when I was in Russia, I mean that’s all you do there, play football in summer play hockey in winter and sometimes basketball in school PE class. Oh yeah, the fun of being a goalie and playing on a pavement. First you dive for the ball then you realize how bad it will hurt once you land. Uh I miss being not a fatarse… cant wait to get back in shape:(

9. [​IMG]

I go down to Kells Irish pub on weekends to watch the English soccer matches. Loads of fun. Just watch what colors you are wearing when you walk in.

Rock on
    Eric

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    You communist.

Hehe, Irish pubs, I love those places.

Last year I was in SF and had couple of hours of free time between classes so I went to my favorite Irish bar there to watch Moscow CSKA vs. Liverpool (i believe) at lunch time. It was full of drunk people on their lunch break watching a game; I love Irish, every lunch time a bunch of people come in from work drink and go back to work.
    I was rooting for CSKA rest of the bar for Liverpool. CSKA was winning the whole game until Liverpool scored a hand ball and ref didn’t call it. In OT Liverpool won, I didn’t say anything but they were all sad that team won by cheating all 6 beers and fish and chips I had there were free. I left them huge tip though and we talked for a while he gave me another beer then I had to go to class. Love those places, its like the only place in US you can find that when it comes to soccer.

11. Go Revs! And Wigan got robbed yesterday!

12. At least it's not Man U.

Rock on
    Eric

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I attended the DC United Home Opener a Sunday, which featured 2 goals that were candidates for goal of the week. Ended in a draw, despite DC carrying the play. IMHO there is no team in MLS that plays as beautifully as DC when they are on their game.

For those interested in watching more soccer but not quite 'getting it', it really does take some time to learn to watch on TV if you haven't much exposure to the game. Most of us in the US probably forget that we learned so much about the big three of American Football, baseball, and basketball over the years of our youth. It was a slow process to really understand those sports. You have to give a new sport the same consideration IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

In addition there are some great books that go into the history of the game in different parts of the world that help to establish why certain rivalries are such a big deal to a group of fans. Often it's more than just geography.

Suggesttions:

How Soccer Explains the World
    by Franklin Foer

Football Against the Enemy
    by Simon Kuper

I've found that once I got used to the rhythm and pace of watching soccer on TV, it's hard for me to maintain interest in the Televised Big Three US sports, the sports of my youth. Too much stoppage in play.

But I probably watch 5 games a week on TV and attend 2-4 games per week during the spring and fall, when my son's team is playing.

14. Awesome. More footie fans!!

Ching's 4 goals will do nothing to change Bruce Arena's mind for Germany. Gregg Berhalter should be playing in my semi-pro Men's League. I can't imagine a scenario where he gets on the playing field at the World Cup, unless he is warming up the keepers.........................;)

JT