Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MLS Soccer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jun 7, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just got back from a MLS game tonight, watching KC and the Metrostars... really cool stuff! I have no idea what was really going on, but we yelled at the ref and the visiting team a bunch, and I drank beer and at Brats... Arrowhead stadium has great Brats! KC won, fun for all, great stuff, I may just have to go again... Uhhhhh.. I just have no idea about the rules. Gonna have to read up on that part...

P@

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love soccer, loads of fun.

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Soccer-- football-- rules!

I watched LA play Colorado on TV today at the brand new stadium south of LA. Soccer needs to played on SOCCER fields, not "football" fields. The game today at the new stadium was great, and the field is huge! It totally changes the game when it is played on a big field. I hope they build more soccer stadiums for MLS teams.

I live in Ohio and have been to Columbus Crew stadium quite a few times. It was the first soccer-only stadium in the US (I think...). I've seen some Crew games, an MLS all-star game, and the World Cup qualifier against Mexico a couple years ago.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    World Cup fields are pretty huge. I don't know the dimensions, but I'd say they are at least, wider than american football fields(I could be wrong though)

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    The size of a football pitch (sorry, soccer field ;)) can vary quite a bit, as far as I know. If you really want to know the rules of the game (and I'm sure you don't in such obsessive detail, but this won't hurt I suppose), they're all at this site:

http://www.the-english-football-archive.com/rules.htm

6. I prefer football, but oh well

7. Bump

:D:D

Merls

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Let's talk about soccer(football) more.

I really don't like american football, and I think it's a damn shame, that it has that name, when the game barely revolves around your feet. While realy football is all about your feet.

at anyrate...I used to play Left forward and mid. Sometimes I'd play center field.

It's a great sport, really keeps you in shape.

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I wish us Americans would call it football, as well. It certainly makes more sense.

I always preferred soccer over American football because of the freedom and flow of play. American football is such an authoritarian game; every player is told what to do in every play. In soccer, once the game starts, it is up to the players, and each player has to play offense or defense as the situation arises.

I played soccer all through high school and played varsity in college for a year. I played outside forward most of the time, and my specialty was fast breaks up the side and crossing the ball. I had a ton of assists.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love football (soccer)! been playing since i was in elementary school in the "tykes" league, all the way thru high school, college, and now, club. but a few too many sli-tackles messed up my knees, which forced my early unwanted retirement two years ago. :( but i cant get enough of Fox Sports World. thankfully, they show lots of English Premiership ball, even tho it is at 3am.

i dunno, been trying to get into MLS football, but it just doesnt wow me like English, or any of the euro clubs like Spain's Primera Liga, or Italian Serie A.

if you get Fox Sports Net, check out a Manchester United or Chelsea game or any UEFA cup game, and you'll see how harder the shots from the 18 look, how much more inspired the passing is, or how much more organized and determined the teams move together.

hopefully, in a decade, we'll see more interest grow if the US world cup team keeps doing as well as it has in the past couple of years, making the sport a more viable on our own hometurf or "pitch" as it were. ;)

btw, anyone else hear about this Freddy Adu kid? he's like 13 and they're already touting him the next Pele. he's the "Lebron James" of the soccer world.

but yea, its great that we, yanks, finally have a "pro" team to go and see. nothin' like hearin' the chants for the Metrostars in joisey-ian or brooklyn-ese! :p

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, as much as i love Football, too, it is misnamed. should be "Slamball". :D

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Geez....last world cup, My god!!! the US should have beaten germany, that was the most ridiculous thing ever, the frecking germany guy(not the keeper) who was supposed to be glued to the goalpost(for the free kick), reached out and stopped the ball with his hand! grrrr

not to mention all the calls that went uncalled.

13. One of my "things to do before i die" is to be in a european soccer riot and not die. :D

14. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    The Germans always win.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, not anymore... that day against the US, they were REALLY REALLY REALLY lucky. they simply looked sloppy and tired, and the US team looked waay better.

they were good, but have since been slipping as a World Cup powerhouse. all the good german coaches seem to be going off to smaller richer nations to coach their world cup teams.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The US totally outplayed the germans in ever respect.

The US keeper is a great keeper, one of the best in the world.

And the game against the germans was total BS, US should have won.

but oh well.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Argh! A bunch of forwards here! I hate y'all! I spent years as a keeper, ranked #1 in the state my junior year of high school, with the occasional stint as a right mid. Unfortunatly, two days before the senior prom, I pretty much ruined my right (kicking) ankle for any future playing. I lost a little bit in scholorship money, but my scholorship is mostly academic, anyways, so that didn't matter too much. At least I saved the goal, and broke the striker in the process. I really miss the game, and try to make it to every one of my friends' games, when time permits. Occasionally, I'm able to work out with the team at school, but it usually just makes me sad that I can't play anymore.

18. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    That's right... but y'see, that's the thing about the Germans. They always win even though you outplay them (in fact, the better you play against them, the more dangerous they seem to be)... they're probably the luckiest team in international football. Try watching the England v Germany semi-finals from 1990 or 1996 and you'll see what I mean.

Having said that, they've been in decline for years now, for one reason or another - the only reason they got to the final last year was because all the other top teams flopped. It's ironic (but bloody typical) that the two "big" teams that really struggled to qualify should have made the final.

Wrong Robot is spot on about the US keeper - he's Brad Friedel and he plays for the team I support. Definitely one of the best keepers around at the moment... and we got him for nothing. Not bad, eh? :D

19. I don't think JMX would appreciate the German football/soccer bashing :p

and speaking of the football/soccer word mix-up thing...I watched NFL Europe (for the unaware, its american football in europe...with alot of lesser known american NFL players in there) on tv the other day. It was the world bowl, basically their version of the super bowl. Less than half of the stadium was filled up. :D And yes, the germans won that too (team Frankfurt).

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I hope he doesn't... just like I don't appreciate getting knocked out by the Germans EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR! :mad: :D

Still, we did beat them last time we met, didn't we? ;)

Oh, and I remember when there was an American Football team in London about six or seven years ago. Their main selling points were the fact that they had a fella called The Fridge playing for them, who had once played in the NFL, and they signed up a load of ropey old English Football players as kickers. No-one was surprised when the people of London decided to stick with the version of football that you actually use your feet in. :p