Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM-2 4-String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by padresfan311, Oct 8, 2004.

1. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    I currently have a Squier Standard P-Bass and I have been playing bass since February. My friends wanted me to play bass in the school talent show but I couldn't because of my crappy bass. I am looking at the MM-2 4-String Bass because of its supposedly good tone, looks, and construction. I was wondering if anyone knew anything good and/or bad about this bass. Thanks! :)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I assume you're asking about the OLP MM-2, right?

OLP MM-licensed basses really impress me for the price. I think they blow away just about everything else in their price range. However, I've seen quite a bit of sample variation - you'll want to play the one you want to buy. When I went to pick one up as a pocket change five, I had to look at three before I foind one I liked.

What's wrong with your Squier P? They're not POS basses - actually, they can sound pretty good after a good setup and decent strings.

3. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    My Squier is still stock and it just doesn't sound great...and I don't wanna play a friggin Squier in front of the school! :)

I think I'll go to Guitar Center tomorrow and test the OLP MM-2 4-String Bass.

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Well OLP is MM's Squier, basically. But there's nothing wrong with playing a Squier in front of the school. It's your playing that matters, not the gear :p. Don't be so concerned about it.

5. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    If it makes you feel better, scrape the SQUIER off the headstock, but a P is a P. When it comes down to it, in a full band setting, no one can tell the difference between a Chinese and an American with everything else going on as well.