1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM 5 vs New Am DLX 5 vs Sadowsky UV Metro 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk 'N' Stein, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Hi everyone

I'm primarily an old school soul-rock, motown kinda guy playing mostly bebop jazz gigs in an assortment of different wedding bands.

I currently play a '62 reissue jazz and a Stingray 4 (both excellent basses) and was thinking about venturing into 5 string territory. I've narrowed my choice down to one of the 3 basses mentioned .

I've heard lots of great things about the Marcus Miller 5 and the Sadowsky UV metro 5, and the new AM DLX Jazz is very cool.

In general, I love the tone of the jazz bass, especially with both pickups out of phase. However, I would not be adverse to trying something a little different, especially if It could still get me in the 'jazz' ballpark.

Having said that, I'm not really a fan of the archetype 'modern' bass tones, but I have heard Tal Whatshername playing her sadowsky and thought it (she)sounded great ( to be frank...to my ears it didnt really sound much different to a normal jazz with bridge pickup cranked-perhaps a tad fuller, thats all)

Other than that, I'm not really hip to the Sadowsky sound so telling me the sadowsky sounds like a sadowsky is not much help i'm afraid.

Any objective comments would be greatfully received

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I had a Metro that I really liked but when I went to a Fender American Jazz that was passive I had musicians telling me how punchy the Fender was!

3. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    in addition to sound they all feel different due to the radius and contour of the neck.
    the Marcus Miller has a 7.25 radius fingerboard way more arched than the 10"-12" radius of the other 2.
    all three can sound similiar yet they all have their distinctive "thing" based on tone woods,pickup placement,preamps, finish, bridge, tuners, shielding, ......
    best suggestion is to get all three in the ring and battle it out with your ears, eyes and hands being the ultimate judge.
    enjoy the battle royale!
    p.s. i prefer the MM5 as the overall champ with the deciding factor being neck radius

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Given what you've said, you may prefer a Sadowsky that has the single coil pickup option, rather than the standard humcancelling singles, or be aware that the excellent Nordstrand NJ5 pickup is an easy drop-in replacement in a Sadowsky. Either will provide a more typical J tone than the modern edge that the humcancelling pickups provide.

I have very little exposure to Marcus basses nor Fender J5s, so I can't opine.

Another interesting option might be a Valenti - www.valentibasses.com. Nino works in Roger Sadowsky's shop by day and builds basses by night. he does great work, and for about the price of a Sadowsky Metro, he will make you a bass with the bodywood, color, fretboard wood, and electronics of your choice. He uses the slightly downsized USA Custom Guitars bodies, which I think are perfect. They are a little larger than a Lakland Darryl Jones but a little smaller than a classic Fender. I especially like the profile of his necks.

Good luck!