Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM and G&L pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Nov 6, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    OK, so are L2000 and Stingray pickups exactly the same size even if they're different specs? My '82-83 L2000e has a faulty neck pickup, so I was thinking of replacing both with Bartolini Musicman replacement pickups. Will that work? The bass is in the shop so I can't measure the pickups yet.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They arent even the same shape.

Bartolini makes G&L pickups, but I think that I saw a thread around here once about replacement G&L pickups.

Do a search for the words "G&L Pickups" and you should find what you want.

You could also try asking G&L for a replacement. They'd probably make you send in the bad one first though.

Peace
    Nick

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Email Tim at Buffalo Brother Guitars and he can hook you up with replacement pickups for a reasonable amount. I've never bought any (yet - I still have hopes for a semi-custom using G&L pickups someday) but Tim (or probably any other G&L dealer) can get replacement parts.

I was surprised at how reasonable they were (I thought) cost-wise. Under $50 for one of the humbucking L-series pickups. I assume they are still in the same ballpark unless prices have gone up.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is it true that bartolini makes the G&L MFD humbuckers?

thanks

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

No, I believe the G&L pickups are made on-site in Fullerton, CA. This page of the G&L factory tour shows the pickup winding machine in action.

Bartolini does list a G&L bass pickup in their catalog. I think it's a replacement for the L-5500 (that had EMGs) but I'm not sure. I can't get the catalog to open on my computer right now so I can't see the info.

I'm not aware of any replacement pickups that match the G&L MFD humbuckers for size.

6. I had Jim Wagner out of California custom wind two Seymour Duncan J bass pickups ( 1/4 pounder and a humbucker) and they came out just like I wanted em! Email him and see if he can help you. jwj1@bigvalley.net
    I put them in a custom Fender Jazz Bass Fretless with a 3 band Seymour Duncan preamp eq system...SWEEEETTTTT!!!!! With flat wound strings. I wanted the old school kind of fretless sound and he wound them to give me just that. He says he use to play bass so he understands what we are looking for. Check him out.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What I meant to say is that they list G&L replacements on their website.

Im not sure if they are made to fit the L-5500 models or the other models.

Peace
    Nick