Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM and Jazz in the same bass Possible?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by King David, Dec 12, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    My two favorite basses are the MM Stingray and a Fender Jazz. I am toying with building a 5 string and I like both of them so much that I want both in the same bass if possible. I am thinking of building a Warmoth bass with a MM pickup at the bridge and a jazz pickup at the neck. Will I be able to get reasonably close to the sound of both the MM and the Jazz or am I dreaming?

What suggestions do you have?

What suggestions do you have for pickups?

I am currently leaning toward Bartolini pickups (I haven't heard much good about the Basslines MM pickup).

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The Bartolini MME is switchable between single coil, parallel, and series. So, conceivably, you could design the bass so that the neck pickup is in the right place for a jazz neck pickup and the south coil of the MME is in the jazz bridge position. With the coil switch, I think you could come pretty close.

3. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    one:

I saw a fender P tonight at a local bar. it had a MM type pup, and a P pup. it was a p delux with active electronics. form what the bassist said, it was all stock.

it is possible to have what you want if fender can make a P with a MM pup in it.

two:

go to www.carvin.com. they have most of their basses with a mm pup and a J pup config. what you want is not in anyway out of this world or "NEW."

not saying you should buy from them with your thinking about barts and all, but to give you an idea that what you want in a PUP scheme is out there in practice.

three:

like they said in "Field of Dreams", "If you build they will come." well.... "If you have the bread, they will build it." maybe not warmoth (they should though), but someone is money hungry enough to build what you want.

four:

Come on man!!!!!!! TELL US WHAT YOU WANT THE BODY TO LOOK LIKE!!!!!! don't leave us in suspence.

five:

POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
    i would have posted pics, but ppl here are weary and wouldn't care to see my copley :(

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Aren't some of the Laklands in that configuration? Like this one

[​IMG]

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    That is some good info.

I guess I am still missing suggestions. I am leaning toward the one of the Bartolini PUs. I think I would match it with a single coil, but that is about as far as it gets.

I am thinking of building a warmoth Gecko 5 with a mahogany body, maple neck and an ebony fingerboard.

The Lakland 55-02 is on my list to check out. I just wish all of 5s I am interested in were cheaper. I am looking for tonal diversity and a tight B. That is hard to find.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You'll probably want the jazz pickup to be hum-cancelling on its own. Bartolini makes a split single coil (the 59J) and other manufacturers make stacked humbuckers.

The MM pickup is going to be hum-cancelling on its own.

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I just built a 5 string jazz copy using a jazz pickup and a MM pickup from warmoth. I used basslines pickups and I didnt really like the MM and the stacked Jazz I got, I only use it in single coil mode. I am replacing all the pickups with basslines 67mm pickups. I will use two in the bridge position, one being reverse wound to get hum-canceling. I would do some reaserch in the pickups forum to find the best MM pickup for your tone

8. King,

In my experience with my J/MM Jazz, it seems easier to get a MM sound out of it than a Jazz sound out of it--the two pickups blended together don't really sound the same as a J/J combination. I like the MM pickup soloed a lot more than I like a J bridge pickup soloed, though.

However, I've got to point out that if you're going for as close Jazz and MM tones as possible, you're better off going with the more traditional woods like ash or alder for the body with a rosewood or maple board--mahogany is going to sound rather different, as is the ebony fretboard.

My $.02,
    Mike

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you really want those sounds from it I would suggest that you go with a coil split switch on the MM pickup.

Also, go with an alder or ash body instead of mahogany. Mahogany is very different from the alder or ash which are used in MM and Fender basses.

Peace
    Nick

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea Laklands have some hot pick configurations similar to what your looking for. You should check out the site www.lakland.com. They make basses with Bartolini jazz and MM or SD baslsine jazz and MM.

11. safebuster

safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    you can also call Bartolini directly he will sell you a MM and JB setup not exactly the one they make for Lakland but damn close