MM Audiophile HD-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexssandro, Apr 26, 2001.

1. I wanted to hear people's opinions on this amp. I personally liked it. I thought it was great for slapping. But then again, I haven't really spent any long-term playing time on it. For around $1250, do you think it's a good deal, or are there better options? I believe this is MM's only amp.
  2. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I got to play through an Audiophile in a gig setting a few months ago. It DID have a nice tone, and was able to retain dynamics at louder volumes...(head and 2 cabs--don't know for sure which config!)

I was playing a Sterling through it and thought the amp had good, even sound--even with the EQ set flat (which is my usual setup...) The dual EQ channels is a nice touch (had to share the rig with another player...) and it seems built very well. The speakers themselves are Italian, IIRC.

If I didn't have my Trace paid for, and played out more I'd consider one whenever I needed a new amp.

Best Wishes
  3. I know this is a very old thread, but I recently got a HD-500 and I thought I would post a short review as a few of them are showing up used.
    This is a great amp. It's not a modern sounding amp. It sounds to me like a 500 watt bassman. Very solid low end with a lot of variation available with the controls. The dual channel is nice as you can switch between the channels with the footswitch. The footswitch has a mute, eq bypass, 6 db boost, and channel selector switch. The amp is not super quiet. There is some noise at high output. I run the pre at 7 and the post at about the same. It is very loud and has great low end and growl. I don't use a lot of high end in my sound, just a little sizzle to add to the growl of my G&L with TI flats. I LOVE the sound of this amp. Every one who has heard it has commented on how good it sounds. Check one out if you get the chance.
  4. I tried out one of these rigs when they first came out (the head with 2-10's and 2-12's) and thought that it sounded great for a solid state amp. But if I am not mistaken they stopped making this amp. Is this true?
  5. Jari Kurri

Jari Kurri

Jul 24, 2000
    denver, co
    Yeah, I agree with everything that SMASH said above - these are really nice amps and I'm surprised they aren't talked about more. If anyone's interested, I have one for sale in the GFS forum. I have a bad jones for a p-bass, so I'm open to trades...
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A German mag (Gitarre&Bass ) mentioned in an article about a Markbass amp that the Italian company that makes Markbass used to make the Audiophile gear for Ernie Ball.

Anybody know more about this?
  7. kissoso

Jan 12, 2008
    yes, markbass built this amp for musicman in the past years.....but not yet!

i've also write to markbass to have a footswitch of this amp but they don't have it....
    where can I buy the footswich?