1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM basslines + p 1/4 pound, compatible??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by perutxo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have a stingray copy with a MM basslines PU and planning to add a P 1/4 pound. As both PU are loud output, I thought they might go well with each other, but based on experience, I know that some PU's are not compatible with some other. Would this be the case??
    Thanks

2. Anyone out there??:help:

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    So wait - you have a bass with a music man style humbucker, and you want to replace it with a P style replacement?

Won't work without routing a new cavity.

4. I asked almost the exact same thing in another post today. I also have a bass with a Basslines MM pickup and want to route and add a J pickup. Which J pickups are most compatible?

5. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I am ordering a p with a mm ,so I do also want to know this too.

6. I think you're good to go. Pairing a P with a MM should be killer. Same with pairing a J with a MM. Odds are you'll be fine using the Basslines 1/4 pound pups, P or J, they are high output. Couldn't tell you for 100% certain, but I'm 90%.

Jon

7. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    I have a MM+P combination on an old Ibanez bass : SMB4D + SPB2. (+ a single/series/parallel switch for the MM), 2 volumes pots.
    The problem is that these pickups have different output levels and impedance. When both pickups full on, the MM is much louder than the P. I have to back up the MM volume to actually get a sound that's a 50/50 mix between the 2 pickup's sounds.
    Same problem can happen when combining different pickup brands on a bass.

Solutions?
    -Get a matched P+MM set (Delano, for exemple,...) SD are not matched.
    -Play with your volume or blend pot to get a 50/50 sound mix
    -Add a preamp treating separately the 2 pickups (Audere, East,...)
    -Add a resistor in series with the louder PU to lower the volume

Good luck!

8. Cernael

Cernael

Jun 28, 2008
    ...or, raise the P closer to the strings, and lower the MM away from them, until you get a workable balance.