Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Basslines pickup needs grounding....help.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I recently installed a Seymour Duncan Basslines Musicman replacement system (pickup and preamp) in my stingray bass. After installing it, I've noticed that when I touch the pickup pole pieces I get a buzz. It turns out the the pickup poles are not properly grounded. The wire that was glued to the Alnico poles detached. I'm trying to ground the pickup properly. However, it doesn't seem like I can solder the wire to the poles because the solder is not adhering to the alnico. Is there a special glue I can use. I don't want to have the glue come between the wire and the pole piece disrupting the connection. Is there anything I can do to properly ground the pickup? Right now I have the wire taped with aluminum tape to the poles. However, this is a temporary fix because the tape will eventually come off as it is doing now.

Thanks for the help

2. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey man
    i woudl maybe contact seymour duncan tec support, should be pretty helpful, also double check the wiring diagram on the site
    cheers matt

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a brand new Basslines MM pickup here. On this one they have a piece of springy metal that weaves through the pole pieces. Then they epoxied it to the plastic on the back of the pickup. The ground is then soldered to that piece of metal.

Contact Duncan and see if they can help you out. Maybe they can send you a piece of this metal that they use.