1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM Bongo or Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kebap, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hi everyone. I bought a Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz Bass in 2003 and I'm playing with it since then. 10 days ago I bought a Musicman Bongo Stealth. It has a lovely sound, but I can't play with it. The neck and string spacing are very different. I couldn't get used to it. And it looks wierd I must admit.
    Anyway, a friend of mine offers me to trade the Bongo with his 2006 model, new Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz. I'll start playing professionally soon and I was wondering if I need the replacement of a bass I'm in love with (the Jazz Bass) or two different tones (arsenal consisting of Jazz Bass and MM Bongo)... Shall I do the trade?
    What do you think?:confused: :help: (Bear in mind that his Jazz Bass has the best looks: maple fretboard+3 color transparent sunburst on ash)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you dont like to play it, honestly there is no sense having it around. Although, his bass is very similiar to yours. What I would do, since you dont really like the bongo, do the trade, and put some flatwound strings on one of the jazzes, or something to make them sound different.

3. +1 on figjam's comments. Versatility is great but if you don't like the bongo there's no reason to keep it. You might find that you can trade that bongo for something that you'd like though, if you don't want to have 2 jazz deluxe's.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Trading in a nice home theater rig for a boombox?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its collecting dust, its better of in someone elses hands that will use it.

Surely you will agree with that ;)

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I was just trying to stir some $h!t up :)

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Congratulations. You're the only guy I've ever seen who was actually able to get the Ernie Ball guys to tell you to get rid of the Bongo. :) Get rid of the Bongo.

BUT - iffin I were you I'd actually play it till ya got used to it. It's a much better bass (IMO of course). You're just used to the Jazz. I bet if you played the Bongo exclusively for a month or 2, in a gigging situation, and then switched back to the jazz you'd say ***, and keep the Bongo.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, i agree as well. Give it a shot.

9. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I was thinking, what were the reasons that you bought the Bongo? If it was for the sonic reasons, I'd put the fender away for a good month and try and get used to the new bass. Ask you friend to hold off the trade for a month. That should give you some time to think about things.

10. Yeah I went from a Fender Jazz to a MM Sterling because both were the same string spacing with it being 1.5" at the nut. After I got a Bongo which is a bit wider, I started playing it more & more & after going back to a Sterling, it felt out of place so I wound up selling/trading my Sterlings in favor of Bongos.:bassist:

11. I thought it over and decided to do give the Bongo a shot. I'm locking my Jazz up for a month. I will still be ok with it when I take it out again. Thanks for help guys.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :D Good boy. I don't think you'll regret it. :)

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Please update us in a month on this very interesting exercise... :eyebrow: