1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM classic stingray vs. 2 band eq pre ernie ball/MM stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ive played the classic stingray and i absolutely love it. Ive been wanting to play a pre ernie ball stingray or a early 90's MM stingray. What could u guys tell me about these basses in comparison to the classic?(if u never played the classic, then just tell me how the MMs i just mentioned feel/sound) it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    There have been a few threads along these lines, but I'm too lazy to do a search for them. I have a Classic, but never owned/played a pre-Ernie Ball 'Ray.

If I recall, most of the guys who have owned and/or played both have said that while the Classic is a fantastic instrument, they tend to favor their pre-E.B.'s.

Hopefully, some of those guys will see this thread and give you some better feedback.

3. I used to have a pre EB Stingray years ago , I still have a '93 Stingray and I played the new Classic Stingray.
    I think the Classics are way more like the Rays from the early 90s than the Pre-EB models.
    If you take away the string-through bridge and the finish of the neck , you basically get a early 90`s Sting Ray.
    I.m.h.o. no big difference between those two. The Classics are realy modern instruments and a Pre-EB Ray feeels, sounds and plays vintage. Not better or worse, just different.

4. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    This. I'm an owner of Pre-EB SR and Classic SR5 a few weeks ago.. :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021