Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mm i dea

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 18, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i know the JTB-440 from jay some thing is crap. i am tight on cash i want to do this buy the JTB-440 bass. put in better pickups then when i have money buy a mm body like 78 or some thing thast a good year and buy the neck a good year and put all the JTB-440 parts in a musicman and replace like the turnners when i get some more money and the bridge too. i play slap and funk alot and my crapy bass i have now for slapping.it sucks . is this a good idea.

2. Ben, I'm with you here-and since I'm always trying to come up with good-but-cheap approaches, I think you could do this easily without messing with the MM and it's rather high value.

The bass you are thinking about is the Jay Turser MM copy. I haven't played one but even if I did YMMV. If you get it from ebay, you would likely pay about $200 with shipping for a new one. I would definitely recommend getting the version with the all maple neck. This will sound great with slap. Then, doing it right, it will take another $100 to upgrade the bridge and the tuners. It will run another $100 for a good pup. That puts you at $400. Still that's about half of a real MM but I understand youthful impatience! At this point you should have a really fine playing bass. You will also learn a bit about working on them and you will explore some different combinations than you could normally. That, IMO, is worth the money and effort.

I would leave the real MM stuff alone until you can afford to buy a complete bass and keep it as such. It seems that the bodies and necks, as seperate pieces, go for pretty good sums. That would mean that you could do what I've described above for the cost of just a MM body and neck alone.