mm idea JTB-440

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok i am a kid . unlike most i can wait. this is what i doing i just bought a JTB-440 off of ebay for 200.i going to change the pickups frist get more moner the bridge theget more the tuners then get more and buy a reall mm body and neck and cput all the parts i bought in the mm body. would this be a good idea because i am a kid, second what type of tunner and bridge and pickups should i get i am planing on geta drop in replcement for the mm from the Seymour Duncan. i would want to get emgs but i think they would be to much and i like the seymour duncan because of the pull up the volume put in in slap mode and i play alot of slap like funk but alot of primus.
    please help if you can
  2. grassi55

Apr 17, 2011
    nice to talk to another kid on tb as im in high school myself. ive toyed around with the same idea for a while and have picked up bits and pieces of info all around. from what ive gathered the jay turser is a passive bass but if u feel its neccesary u could install a preamp. other than that i think if u got a mm style bridge and better tuners with either a seymour duncan or gfs mm pup it should sound really good. btw arbor makes a stingray copy for a little less and that gfs pickup is half the price of seymour duncan and pretty good quality on both items.
  3. grassi55

Apr 17, 2011
    it seems like buying a real mm body would be pretty worthless honestly and ur jay turser should serve the purpose fine and the neck should be fine as well unless ur really set on the neck profile of the stingrays
  4. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    25 years old = "I am a kid"??

No. In the end you'll spend more and get less than if you just saved up for a whole bass -- and the resale value of what you build will be MUCH lower. See below for more on why I think "no."

So if you're planning on getting an SD pup, then that's what I recommend for a pup :) Tuners and bridge? Are you trying to build a MM piecemeal, or just improve the Turser? If the former, then you need to harvest real MM parts (which will be tough). If the latter, then you need to play for a while so you know WHY you're replacing the parts. If it's for looks, or sustain, or to stop slippage, or to give string spacing, too early to tell.

Anyway, if you're patient, you can find a used Stingray or Sterling for 700-800. Just start saving. The result will be MUCH better than a bunch of upgrades to a Turser. In my experience, one of the BIGGEST weaknesses of cheap instruments is the neck -- the wood, construction, nut and fretwork. You can't negate those with a better bridge and tuners. And a new nut will cost you 50-60 bucks, a fret dressing 30-40, and you can never make the neck "better." And the MM body will probably be the most expensive thing to get and will give you the least actual benefit in the end.

The tuners on a Turser are surely absolutely fine for your needs. And will likely have little-to-no impact on your experience. My advice is that you just plan to play that Turser into the ground. Save for a real MM. Once you have that money, you'll know if you even need or want to spend it on a MM. When I was prepared to buy a MIA Fender jazz, I went to guitar center and tried the MIAs and MIMs side by side for a couple of hours. Walked out with a MIM and 500 more dollars left in my wallet. Years later when I had a better job, and more reasons to want the MIA, I got it. But I got many great years from that MIM, and it never hampered my playing more than my own commitment to practicing.

The FIRST things I'd consider -- after much playing -- would be the pickup and preamp. But you should probably plan on investing in an amp and effects before you do that since those things will do as much to define your tone, but will also serve you no matter what bass you play.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This may be the all-time best TB necro thread posting ever!

Grassi, you'd do better to start a new thread instead of replying to one that's over ten years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.