Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM/J: Any point?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arcatus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello! I am thinking about assembling a warmoth this summer, but i am having a hard time deciding what kind of pickups i should use. I want a musicman type pickup in the bridge position, but i am wondering if there is any point in having a jazz pickup in the neck position? I will be playing metal most of the time, but i am looking for a versatile bass, which is good for both slapping and funk, but also if i need smooth, bass-heavy sounds...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland basses have a pickup configuration like that. All i can say is, yes , there is a point :) it sounds really nice. I would go with barotlini pickups.

3. Laklands have it, and it sounds very good. If you can try a Lakland with this configuration, be sure to!

4. What about using the MM in the bridge J position?

Wire the MM for split coil operation, and place the farthest MM coil in the J position, and the other MM coils closer to the neck.

5. Since I assume Warmoth will be custom making this body for you, have you considered getting a P/MM configuration? Just a thought. I would think that configuration could easily nail what you're looking for...just have to find the right pickups.

-Nick Park

6. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I haven't really considered that option, but now that you mention it, it would be quite brilliant.. i would get lots of definition and power from the MM, but i would still be able to dial in booming lows with the P. Any suggestions on what pickups would be most suitable? I was thinking about a seymour duncan alnico MM and a SD STC preamp..

7. I've got a similar setup in my Spector - EMG 40DC @ the bridge and an EMG 40P5 at the neck. It sounds huge, with great definition.

8. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    i reckon for metal u want 2 musicman pickups, i kno their mainly for funk but the power u get from those feckers is incredible. Prefer to 1 J and 1 mm

9. P/MM does not work, because the pickups overlap if both are placed in their standard positions.

A reverse P will just fit, but I have no experience with the tone.

Another consideration is strings: IMO a P is at home with flats, where one would probably want snarling rounds for the MM. Just a thought.... I have a separate L1500 for this purpose, so my P keeps its flats.