1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM/J: Any point?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arcatus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello! I am thinking about assembling a warmoth this summer, but i am having a hard time deciding what kind of pickups i should use. I want a musicman type pickup in the bridge position, but i am wondering if there is any point in having a jazz pickup in the neck position? I will be playing metal most of the time, but i am looking for a versatile bass, which is good for both slapping and funk, but also if i need smooth, bass-heavy sounds...

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland basses have a pickup configuration like that. All i can say is, yes , there is a point :) it sounds really nice. I would go with barotlini pickups.

3. Laklands have it, and it sounds very good. If you can try a Lakland with this configuration, be sure to!

4. What about using the MM in the bridge J position?

Wire the MM for split coil operation, and place the farthest MM coil in the J position, and the other MM coils closer to the neck.

5. Since I assume Warmoth will be custom making this body for you, have you considered getting a P/MM configuration? Just a thought. I would think that configuration could easily nail what you're looking for...just have to find the right pickups.

-Nick Park

6. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I haven't really considered that option, but now that you mention it, it would be quite brilliant.. i would get lots of definition and power from the MM, but i would still be able to dial in booming lows with the P. Any suggestions on what pickups would be most suitable? I was thinking about a seymour duncan alnico MM and a SD STC preamp..

7. I've got a similar setup in my Spector - EMG 40DC @ the bridge and an EMG 40P5 at the neck. It sounds huge, with great definition.

8. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    i reckon for metal u want 2 musicman pickups, i kno their mainly for funk but the power u get from those feckers is incredible. Prefer to 1 J and 1 mm

9. P/MM does not work, because the pickups overlap if both are placed in their standard positions.

A reverse P will just fit, but I have no experience with the tone.

Another consideration is strings: IMO a P is at home with flats, where one would probably want snarling rounds for the MM. Just a thought.... I have a separate L1500 for this purpose, so my P keeps its flats.