1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM & Jazz combo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by uptowndirt, May 23, 2011.

1. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    hi, i am going to install a jazz pup in neck position of flea modulus, any input as to pup's or preamp replacement. have a bart MM and bart pre right now, want to open up the sound landscape on this bass, and no i don't want to buy another bass, and don't care about devalueing this one, i have lot's of basses, just have been wanting to try MM + jazz with maybe obp -3......any input or ideas would be great.

2. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    ok how about if i just add a neck pup should i just look for a bart ? should it be humbucking ? i could keep the bart pre amp ? ....... no-one, is it because it's not a fender question ?

3. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs

Attached Files:

4. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011
    I have that pickup combo in a less than stellar made bass. But it does pretty well. I just used an old J i had lying round, and i dont seem to find any problems.

5. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    i have noticed this on some laklands and kinals anyone have those basses ? and how is the sound ? i imagine the MM gives the most output , just wondering if a bridge jazz would be better suited ?

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    When adding a pickup, especially a jazz pickup you have to deal with the hum question. Since a humbucker "arrangement" requires to oppositely wound single coils, you need to think about what you want to do.

1. If you add a single coil jazz neck pickup, that then needs to be "cancelled" with a bridge single coil which means that you have to have a coil tap on your bridge MM pickup and use the appropriate side of that to buck hum.

2. The other choice would be a humbucker jazz pickup like the Fender stacked coil or Norstrand side by side coil. This way both neck an bridge are humbuckers and you can mix them at will without hum.

3. My personal choice (other than 2.) would be two MM pickups with lots of series/parallel and single coil switching a lot like a G&L circuit. In fact I've got such an HH mod underway right now on my OLP passive stingray clone. This way you can mix humbuckers as in 2. without hum and also can switch to pairs of single coils (neck + bridge) to get jazz tone but without hum. It's like the G&L with "K" mod.

Since the Flea bass has a pickguard covering the neck pickup area one can experiment without worrying about what routs look like. You can just do a "swimming pool" rout under the pickguard. Change pickguards to change pickups.

7. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    thinking joe barden jazz for neck position.

8. Adding a neck J-bass pickup isn't going to change the sound or 'open up' this bass like you're seeking. ...... A neck J would add a little bass and a bridge J would add a little treble. .... But you've already got a pre-amp on the bass to do that. ..... Can you try a bass that already has this combo first?

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Most bridge and neck Jazz pickups are wound exactly the same, only the bridge is slightly longer.

You can use a hotter output Jazz pickup at the neck.

I've done a few like this:

2_jazz_mm_basses.

I didn't notice any balance problems.

10. uptowndirt

uptowndirt

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    these jazz basses look great , do you feel the sonics are better ? as well i am wondering if i am able to boost my preamp to 18v it is a bart pre the common one modulus uses, i do have a kinal with quad coil jazz barts and a pre amp with mid and
    freq. switch, and my vj-4 has the bart - bart thing going on , neither have the low end of the flea but have a more broad spectrum of sound. this is what makes me lean towards the MM jazz config.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I did a bunch of those for the same person. I later came to find he was having me do people's basses and claiming he was doing them!

They sounded as you would expect having the MM at the bridge position. It was brighter than on a MM bass, but fatter than a Jazz bridge pickup.