1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM--->Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well I'm getting pretty tired with the bridge pickup on my Traben Phoenix 4. I love the sound on the neck pickup - Very clanky, reminds me of a Rick, and nice warm slapping sound. however, the bridge pickup is literally unusable. It's very close to the bridge, and because it's a humbucker the output is very high and very trebly. It distorts the preamp too much for me to use. So I want to swap it... Ideally, I'd like a jazz bass kind of growl from it... I'm not a fan of humbuckers so close to the bridge.

So can it be done? Is there a MM pickup with only one coil in it? I don't want to drill any holes or anything in my bass, and don't particularly need studio sound quality, but I'd love to have that jazz-esque tone.

2. If you coil tapped the humbucker it would effectively be a Jazz...

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Tried that, it doesn't look doable... There are only 2 wires coming from the humbucker

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    So there's no choice for me but to buy a whole humbucker with separate coils and simply not use the bottom one? :(

5. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    if u look hard enough, u will find humbuckers that sound like single coils.

buy a seperate coil humbucker and wire only the single coil closer to the neck.

or simply buy a 4cable humbucker and add a switch. in this case, u need to do some body work to your bass.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    2 thoughts.

1. buy a Jazz pickup and some pickguard material. make a very small pickguard to fit in place of the 'bucker.

2. Get out the router (or visit a luthier) and have them create enough space for 2 Jazz pickups. Wire them up with a 3 position mini-switch for Single, Paralelle, Seriese like the G& L2000. Jazz pickups are generally delivered in RWRP so the two together are a humbucker, just with a few inches of body between them.

Berry Oakley, the late - Almand Brothers bassist did that on his 'tractor' bass. Other wise a J Bass, he moved the neck pickup down by the bridge pickup and added a Hagstrom / Guild single coil in the neck position.

The other thought is adding a Dark Star at the bridge. It is a massive single coil in a non-standard humbucker form factor. Basically a copy of the same pickup Berry used. Phil Lesh and Jack Casady were also behind that pickup. The Dark Star is a thing of beauty. Hammond Engineering

7. If your preamp is distorting...that's an issue unto itsself...I'd check and see if you can run your pre on 18V and possibly install a second battery in series with the first...

as far as the MM bucker...that's very strange that there are only two wires on her...I'd get a 4-wire bucker (carvin makes decent MM's) and put in a series/parallel/single (on/on/on DPDT) switch.

set up the series on the coil closest to the neck (away from the bridge) and you should be in business...