1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM like rotoswitch wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mickymike, Mar 29, 2013.

1. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    Hi guys !
    I'm new on this forum so I don't know if there is already a thread on this subject (I'm a french guy so please excuse my english mistakes)... Anyway, you'll tell me :)
    I'm building my own MM like bass with a status graphite neck. At first, the electronic was a simple "volume-volume-tone" one as I wanted to keep it simple in a kind of jazz bass way. I'm not completely satisfied with it so I'd like to replace one of the volume pot with a 4 way 3 pole rotary switch.
    There are few proper informations on the forums about that kind of wiring. My goal is to be able to switch between front PU-parallel-series-back PU. I drew this :

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you think this wiring is ok ?

2. 4425191971_74ba18b9d2_o.

3. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    thanks for this quick answer but it's not a rotary switch... I found lots of these diagrams but not one with a rotary switch...
    If there is something wrong on the picture, please make corrections on the pic, it'll be more useful for me.

4. The diagram I posted is indeed for a rotary switch. You can cross-reference the pin layout with what you have.

5. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    As far as I understand (not much, indeed), there is 2 problems with my volume pot.
    - The output from rotary switch should go to the volume pot and then to the tone pot.
    - The third "connection" of the pot (wich I erased on my drawing) should be connected to the back of the pot.
    Except from that, what's wrong (I'm a beginner)))) ?

6. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
  7. You didn't make any changes to the volume/tone wiring with your revision. The electrical function remains the same.

The third terminal of the volume pot does need to be grounded.

8. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    I drew a junction (wire) between the third terminal of the volume pot and the back of the pot. Isn't it what is needed to ground it ?

9. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    Nobody can answer me ?

10. Yes.

11. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    I had a little help in an other forum (a french one) and I finally came to this :
    1- Neck
    2- Neck + bridge in parallel
    3- Bridge
    4- Neck + bridge in series

[​IMG]

12. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    What do you think about that ? Better than the previous one ?

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Yes

14. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    :bag:
    I think i saw this scheme somewhere else....

;)

15. mickymike

mickymike

Mar 29, 2013
    An other wiring diagram. This time, it's not neck/parallel/bridge/series but neck/parallel/series/bridge. Maybe it seems more natural to some of us than the previous one.
    [​IMG]