1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM or Mudbucker in bridge position?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I have a Squier Pbass special, and I want more growl in the P position, and more overall focus and bite to my tone, with a little more bottom. I'm thinking of putting a Seymour Duncan MM pickup or Dimarzio Model one in place of the Bridge J, for more low end and bite. Is this feasible, or would it be more advisable to just get another Jazz pickup? I'm really digging that MM tone, and the Model 1 i hear is phenomenal. Should i do it? and what possible effect will it have on my tone?

Best regards, and thanks to anyone who helps.

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Dark Star! :D

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    But those are 'spensive!!!

and i've never even heard a Darkstar. Alls i know is they're $250.

4. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Do a model J, that way you don't have to destroy your bass routing it.

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    If I did rout it, i'd have a professional do it.

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    well, they list for 200... but they also have some of the biggest lowends of them all:)

but if the DS is out, how about a mudbucker in the neck position? that would be very bassy

7. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'd dig the MB in the neck position, but i'd like a bass with a bridge pickup, and somewhere to rest my finger when i play the E string.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I would go with the Model J's for a simple swap but if you don't mind routing your bass then you can do what I did. My latest project bass started with a Geddy Lee Body that I routed for a Nordstrand MM4.3. All the growl that I would ever need. I have a Nordstrand NJ4 in the bridge and a J-Retro preamp which just dropped in.

9. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Do you have pictures?

Also, nordstrands are as 'spensive as Darkstars. So THe Dimarzio or SD is more feasible.

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    010808%20031.

bought both Nordstrands used for $70 each.

11. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Do you have soundclips?

And does anyone know how P+MM sound?

12. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Go with the MM at the bridge. Try to get as close to the sweet spot for it as you can, unless you're going for an even brighter tone.

13. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I am looking for brighter, but not too burpy and middly, more over the top and bottom end. Kind of a slope in the EQ towards treble.

14. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Is this still feasible? I'd like to know before i do anything unnecessary. I'm looking for an all around punchy tone, with lots of bass and treble, and not too mid-scooped. Is it possible with the MM or Model one in the brigde?

Also, i'm planning on putting a Dimarzio Split P or Model P in the Neck position, or possibly a fralin pickup.

15. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Hi, I've messed up many a bass doing just what your considering! The Split p or Model P in the front is a no brainer. Direct replacement and great pickups, take your pick. I've used the model p for years and it's a great pickup. The split p has a more modern sound, I've never owned one, but have considered it many times. You can't go wrong. As far as the drastic change in the rear pickup, put in a direct replacement. If you have good wood working skills, have at it, otherwise stick with the direct replacements. I have good wood working skills and have messed up plenty of basses. Good luck. Later, Neil933

16. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The Model One's pole piece spacing is set for the bass's string spacing at the neck position. It may be too narrow to get even string response in the bridge position.

Matt

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Basslines ceramic MM will get you there. It has a bright cutting tone. The alnico version is duller sounding.

One of my customers had me mod his Jazz like this about 15 years ago, and since then I've done a bunch for him and his buddies. (usually he does double MM pickups)

mm_jazz4.

18. phunku

phunku

Jan 9, 2008
    London, England

thats 1 SWEEEEEEEET looking Jazz man, seriously nice:p

PawleeP likes this.
  19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    And that's just a Squier! They sounded very good. He had me put the Basslines MM preamp in too.

Most of his basses look like this. I think I've done about six for him so far.

mm_jazz3.

MM-jazz-mod04.

PawleeP likes this.