Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM + P config?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tbonesux, Aug 13, 2002.

1. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I was thinking about a MM+P pickup configuration on my custom bass. Seymour Duncan to be exact, with the duncan MM preamp.
    comments, please.

2. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    This is a little of topic but I see you're not getting to many oppinions. I just played the Lakland today. It uses a Bart MM style in the bridge position and a J style in the neck. It had a three band tone control and you could tap the coils in the humbucker. This provided for a lot of great sound possibilities. I was really sold on the electronics. It could do everything the MM could do plus a lot more. I also posted another thread asking people's advice on the Bart MM versus the SD Basslines like you want to use. I didn't get any responses. You can go to the Lakland site and read a pretty good write up on the differences between the Bart MM and the Bassline music man. I spoke with Dan Lakland the maker of the bass and he personally prefered the Bart pups. Most of his basses that use the MM config use Barts but you can get the SD's if you want them. Actually the SD Basslines are supposed to be even more aggressive than the Barts. So, take that into consideration.

3. They overlap if both are placed in their correct sweet spots.

4. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    Would it be highly unreccommended to use those two pickups? If I move them both a little bit, would it make a huge difference?
    I like the two humbucker idea, and the p and mm are voiced a little differently, so I think I would be able to get more sounds out of them.

5. if you want to humbuckers you can still get a split coil j or 2 MM pu's or 2 Soapbars

6. I have no experience with relocating either pickup, but suspect they are both in "sweet spots" for a VERY good reason. A position change will most likely be a tone change.

Your question also applies to the P+J configuration.

If you are a P+thump kind of player, this means using flat wound strings. A bridge J with flats doesn't provide a very good "bridge J" tone to my ears. The J or MM would be wasted on this type bass.

I currently run TI flats on my P (for thump) and rounds on my fretless J (for mwah). The P+J (or P+MM) bass won't work for my needs, so I have two basses.