1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM/P setup - anybody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Aug 11, 2007.

1. So in my quest for my bass tone that I hear in my head, I've been thinking about it alot and playing as many basses as I can. :hyper: :bassist:

I like P basses. I like MM style basses.
    Neither are quite what I'm looking for - the P bass doesnt have the grit that I want, and the MM doesnt have the fullness that I'm looking for, as well as the ability to mellow out. might be just my experience so far, but thats what I've noticed.

What I'm currently wanting to try is a P/MM configuration on a 5 string :bag:

I've never seen this - has anybody else? It doesnt have to be on a 5 string, but when I get mine it would be :D

what do they sound like?
    obviously theres alot of factors, but in general does anybody have any feedback on this kind of setup?

thanks!

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Just interested, how would a MM/J differ from a MM/P setup?

3. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Bump, I want to know also.

4. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    You would have a Precision pup in the neck instead of a Jazz :smug: I've never seen a P/MM setup before... you'd probably have to go custom if you wanted that...

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, I got that far. :p

6. yeah, I'm planning to go custom.
    Not sure who though...

I might get a delux 5 body and neck from warmoth and buy the pups myself and take them to a good luthier.

actually, thats probably what I am going to do lol.

I just wanted some feedback - otherwise I'll be a lab rat for TB! :D

7. Fender makes MM/P P basses....

For the Japan market.

8. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Isn't that what Fender's American Precision Deluxe Bass is?

9. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I think it has a stack J pick up at the bridge, so I think its not a P/MM bass. I might be wrong.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    fender_american_deluxe_pb.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Nope thats not a MM pickup.

I might add that doing a P + MM on a Jazz style bass would be too cliche.. If your going to do it, do it on a P. It might not even be possible unless you do a reverse P.

Besides it would seem to me that the shape of the P body would give you more room to lay both those pickups in the right place.

PS: I'm going to be getting one at some point, either self built or a Valenti.

12. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Joel79, what do you mean by a reverse P? I've seen that trem around a few times before and I just want to know what it is.

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    MM pickups rock, thats for sure. But wouldn't a MM + P be a bit overpowering? :meh: Still, it should be done. :D

14. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    this could easily be modded to have a MM pickup at the bridge

but personally I'd buy a P and rout out the pickup cavity yourself. It isn't the hardest of jobs and you'll have a ball I'm sure.

15. Clover do a 5 with mm/p p/ups as a standard model, and I'm 99% sure that Sandberg do one as well. Both look beautiful, but haven't played either so can't vouch for the sound. I'll bet they sound as good as they look though

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Is a "true" MM/P config even possible, I wonder? There are a bunch of basses with MM/P pickups out there but the MM pickup is usually a lot closer to the bridge than on a real Stingray (gotta fit that P pickup in there somehow) so the MM pickup is going to sound a lot different.

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Here is the Clover bass, I have no idea whats going on with that "humbucker". Maybe someone else can explain.

clover_apeiron5_vw01.

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
  19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Its a pickup made by delano which are not distributed in the USA. Its called a Hybrid.

Quote from www.delano.de:

Part 1: J-Bass™ – Single coil bridge pickup with the immortal characteristics of early 60’s pickups. AlNiCo 5 magnets, classic fiber bobbin and gauge 42 wire. Part 2: Sting Ray™ Humbucker – Low resistance neck coil with 9.5 millimeter AlNiCo 5 magnets. Authentic sound guaranteed in this setting too, thanks to the special engineered bridge J-coil: the second MM™-coil is inte-grated inside. Switching concept: The integrated switch management lets you get both of these great classic sounds at the touch of a toggle, each one reconstructed exactly in its original form with all its strengths and nuances of character.

A reverse-p configuration looks like an ibanez or spector, where the D and G strings have the forward-most coils of the split-P.

Regular P is like a Fender, where the E and A strings get the forward-most coils of the split-P.