Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM p-u routing template anywhere?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ModulusAcacia, Feb 9, 2003.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    hey All-
    first let me say that I'm just now starting to get into lutherie so bear with me here... here's my dilema, I've got THEE LAST brand new, never used (just bought it NEW in the box two weeks ago) Lane poor music man p-u in existance burning a hole in my pocket. I've got a project bass I'm looking to drop it into but it would require opening up an M4 (roughly 1.5"x3.5") sized cavity to a MusicMan 4 cavity, but I really don't trust myself in making a template with my meager tools and skills and was wondering if anybody knows where to buy a routing template, or would be willing to make and/or sell one for a modest fee for the musicman p-u. In a related note, since I'm still a novice with the ancient router I inherited from my grandfather, what bit/technique (if there is technique with a router) should I use for a job like that? any and all advice is greatly appreciated :) I've got another p-u related question I'll put in anther post...

thanks,
    Justin K.

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'll second the request, as I'm about ready to rout my project for a SD Basslines MM pup. Several attempts at cutting a template from plywood with a jigsaw have been less than stellar.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I don't know what I'm missing here!

I mean this in the very nicest way but if making a simple router template is beyond anyones capability, they cetaainly shouldn't go near a bass with a router.

After all, it's nothing more than a square cutout in a piece of plywood.

Exactly what part are you having a problem with?

All that is needed is to drill a hole in each corner and connect the holes with a straight cut.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    www.stewmac.com - if I remember right, they have templates for most pickups.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They don't have MM pickup templates, only P and J. Your best bet for custom templates is MDF and a scroll saw. MDF has the same properties when cutting regardless of direction and is voidless (unlike plywood, unless you are using the real nice stuff). You can true up the straight surfaces with a mill file or sanding block.