Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Worshiper, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Can anyone tell me who makes a good bridge MM style pickup? Does it even matter if it is a bridge pick up or not or will any MM style pick up work how it should wherever it is positioned under the strings? I an trying to put a pickup system on my latest bass similar to that of a sterling or a stingray. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I know Seymour Duncan and Bartolini make that style of pickup. By the way, MusicMan basses only have one pickup, unless you get piezo.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Hambone will probably move this to pups but you can do a search in the pups forum for "experiment" and pull up Dimento's HB style pup experiment (oops, it's under MM style not HB) and there's several of the common MM's reviewed - and a Nordstrand 4.2 will be added shortly.

Personally I've found the alnico MM's more to my likeing - Nord, SD, and Carvin (among others make them).

An MM is an MM to my knowledge in terms of neck/bridge, since in actuallity, they are all intended as replacements for original MMs. I've also found I prefer them closer to the bridge than standard position.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If the Nordstrand NJ4 Jazz pickups are any indication, you might want to take a look at his MM offerings. I love the NJ4 pickups I got from www.bestbassgear.com. Carey Nordstrand is the man.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Kent Armstrong's are good, too.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I absolutely love my Nordstrand MM replacement. I have the MM5.2.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    MM pickups aren't wound "neck" or "bridge" like singlecoil jazz pickup are, so you don't have to worry about that. Just pick the one you like and drop 'er in! ;)

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

another thing worthy of consideration is I've ran two J pups side by side in an MM position and they sound very much like an MM pup. For anybody into tone quest the advantage of two such J's over an MM is the combinations are practically endless since there have probably been more different J pups made than all other bass pups combined and their dimentions are very consistent.