1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM Pickup Cover?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wondermin, Apr 8, 2018.

1. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    Does anyone know where to get a covered/closed pickup cover for a Stingray? I want a closed pickup, purely for aesthetic purposes, but I can't find one online anywhere. I live in Vietnam, so it'd be helpful if it shipped internationally. To be clear, I don't want an actual pickup, just a cover.

2. I'm looking for something like this as well. Specifically, I'm trying to hide the coils from two J pickups in an enclosure that will fit into an existing MM shaped route. My bass is a 6 string which will probably make my search even harder...

I've found open (drilled for polepieces) pickup covers from China for cheap on ebay. I wonder if there's a way to glue a flat piece of plastic over the top? I bet with the right material, it could look decent.

There are $20 Chinese MM 4-string pickups with closed covers on ebay as well. If your bass is a 4 string, you might be able to get one of those and dig out the coils.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  4. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    I'm looking through now, and it doesn't seem to have anything that says MM or Stingray. Do you know if any of them would actually fit? I wouldn't want to buy it and wait for shipping just to have it not fit.

murphy likes this.
  5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    No no no...You will not find a cover that fits.
    Sorry.
    The only way would be to replace the whole pickup with something like a Bartolini...or Delano
    Look at www.bestbassgear.com

or check the accessories classified here

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Christoph at bassculture.de has closed MM covers. I think I have a few too, not sure. I’ll check.

7. PM me if you happen to have a 6-string cover. :roflmao:

8. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    If I were to completely change out the pickups, I was thinking of Lane Poor. Do you know how'd that sound?

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    No...but They were favorites of Talkbass back in the day....

10. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    How would a Bartolini sound? I really like the sound of my Stingray and wouldn't want to compromise Tone for looks.

11. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    I've managed to order some pickup covers from EBay. However when they came, I tried to remove the pickup covers on my MM, but I'm not really sure how to do so without ruining the pickups. Has anyone removed pickup covers before?

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Mmmmmmmm..... contact Nordstrand......

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    What Stingray do you have? I've had no problem taking the pickup cover off, neither on my USA SUB nor my 2011 Stingray. It shouldn't really be a problem for single H models. I'm not sure about HH / HS models because I've never had one (covers might be glued with the pups there, like most after market pickups have as well).

14. wondermin

wondermin

Apr 8, 2018
    I've got an HH, and I'm pretty sure that they're glued on, is there anyway to remove them without damaging the pups?

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I would definitely not do that. Modding the original parts would lower your bass value in the best case scenario, and in the worst case scenario - you'd damage your pickups. Maybe put a tape over the pole pieces? :D

Better swap the pups then. I'd ask Nordstrand about possible replacements. I have their Nordstrand MM4.2 in my Stingray, it's a pre-eb 78' direct replica and it's absolutely fantastic and sounds like the vintage Stingray, spot on.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  16. JayGunn

JayGunn Supporting Member