Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Audiosolace, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently bought an Ernie Ball MM Sterling, and the posts on my stock pickup rust a bit too frequently for my taste (surface rust can only add so much character before it becomes a nuisance).

Is there a way to cover the pickup without affecting the tone? I'd like to save myself the trouble of scouring the pup with Scotch Brite every time I change strings, and I don't want to go as far as to replace the pickup with a Bartolini just yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about a thin coat of clear nail polish after the next time you ScotchBrite? Either that, or use Flitz, which contains a surface protectant.

3. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Not a bad suggestion... though I can't say I would have ever thought of it on my own. I'd kinda like to hear from someone who has experimented with this bass guitar "home remedy." Positive results? Any other inventive ideas that I might throw into the hat?

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Here is a tip i found a long time ago...
    Easy but you have to be careful!
    Take a piece of 4x steel wool and clean the pickup.
    I used 15 minute epoxy but you can use any timed epoxy out there...
    Basically, you take a popcicle stick and basically dab it on the poles..if you use just enough, it will smooth out and completely cover the poles without dropping onto the plastic cover..I've had mine like that for years with no rust and no change in tone...

Plus, if you want to remove it later..it will pop off with a strong fingernail and you can do it over again.

Im crafty like that..

Tommy

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    DON'T USE STEEL WOOL!!!!!!!!

Go get either a ScotchBrite pad for metal or copper wool - neither are magnetic. Never use steel wool on pickups!!!

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    good point Heavy,
    the steel wool reminants where a pain to get off! Its like those little games you used to be able to get at the airport with the face on them and a little magnet pen that you could make beards and hair with...ha
    Remember those?

Tommy

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Don't use Scotchbrite OR Steel wool!
    Invest in a Fibreglass pencil (used for cleaning pcb's - most electronic suppliers sell them).
    Then rub the pole pieces with a little WD40 on a cotton bud (Q-Tip?).

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've found that the eraser on the top of a standard pencil works just fine . . .

9. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Lots of great suggestions, thanks! I think I'll start with a pencil eraser and some nail polish, then work my way up to the space age fiberglass q-tip and industrial grade epoxy. Sound like a plan? I thought so! :D