1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM pickup in soapbar form

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by full_bleed, Mar 22, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm looking for a pickup with a snarly high/high mids and a full but tight low end. Basically a mm man pickup but I don't want the exposed pole pieces for aethetic reasons. The Flea bass with the Lane Poor pickup almost hits the spot but I need more meat on the low end than that and a little more tame highs. I heard the sound clip on www.basstasters.com.

A secondary question. Does anyone no where to get knoll preamps in the U.S. or know how much the Noll electronic TCM 4XM - B2083 cost in U.S. dollars?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bartolini make MM pickups without exposed pole pieces, as do Villex and Kent Armstrong.
    The default stingray (and flea bass) sound is a dual coil pickup wired in parallel, if you want more 'beef' you should investigate getting an MM pickup which allows switching between series and parallel mode. Parallel sounds a bit sweeter for finger and slap, series has more midrange and will cut through more.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    good to know thanks

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The Kent Armstrong is a great sounding pick-up.....extremely clear sounding. I have one going into a 78 stingray this week.