Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM pickup modding - advice please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I was hoping for a little advice....I'm a little out of my depth here!
    I tried the search function but got nowhere. :(

I'm looking to mod my current Yammy (passive Pups) into an active. So far - out of all the basses I've tried, I liked the sound of the stinger the best.
    So!
    I've managed to find the Seymour Duncan SMB4A or SMB4D pups, and then to get the STC-3M4 tone circuit/pre-amp to go with it.
    Is this the perfect choice?
    What alternatives should i look into?

I've seen other musicman pups on the 'bay and the like - mostly generic's - is there much of a difference?
    What do you think of brands like Nordstrand, Mighty Mite or others VS the Seymour Basslines?
    Best value for money?
    Would getting a generic brand be a bad idea?

Thanks for your time fella's
    Smo

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The Duncans are nice pickups, with the Alnico magnets.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not clear on what config your current bass is.
    Does it currently have an MM pickup? As well as the pickup type, a big part of the stingray sound is the pickup location - if the pickup isn't put in the 'sweet spot' you're not going to get a similar sound.

With replacement pickups, you generally get what you pay for. If $40 mighty mite pickups were great, I'd have expected to have heard from someone installing them and loving them by now.

4. Thanks guys - I'm just curious, but thinking about doing this work as soon as i can sell my combo and order the pups.
    I don't currently have either the MM pup or preamp, but i want a different sound.
    My axe now has a very P-bass tone, with a real whack of twang - and I'm ready to move on.
    I just love the Stinger sound!

My current bass has a single set of split P pickups, (all passive with no preamp) - Cheap ones, but the bass is actually salvageable.
    I'm a finger player, play mainly rock - but i love a smooth warm tone (like what the alnico's and vintage pups do.) but added to that, the ability to crank up the mids and let loose. My current pups can't do it.

Are there any pups around that have a similar tonal response to the SMB4A alnico duncans?
    How would the Duncans compare to the EMG35HZ pup?
    Or the Bartolini MMC?

Thanks fellas!
    smo