1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM-pickup on a JJ-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berten, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Hi,

today I went to a local store and I saw a mm stingray with 2 JazzbassPU's: one between the mmpu and the brigde and one at the other site of the pu. I play a 5string with 2 jazzbassPU's. I like the slaptone and the deep reggaelike fingerstyle, but I can't find any growl in there. I really like the tone of a stingray, so I thought: why not install a MM 5string PU between the jazzPU's?

What do you think of this idea?? Would I have a growly MM-like (rock-)tone or not??

Thanks

2. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I did something similar. I have a jazz bass in which I routed out the bridge pickup slot to fit a MM style pickup. I also routed out a jack hole on the side of the bass and a battery box on the back of the body. I used the 4 holes on the electronics plate to install an active preamp (volume - treble - blend - bass). This bass kicks total ass now. So, I think that the musicman pickup did make a difference and add growl.