Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM-pickup on a JJ-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berten, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Hi,

today I went to a local store and I saw a mm stingray with 2 JazzbassPU's: one between the mmpu and the brigde and one at the other site of the pu. I play a 5string with 2 jazzbassPU's. I like the slaptone and the deep reggaelike fingerstyle, but I can't find any growl in there. I really like the tone of a stingray, so I thought: why not install a MM 5string PU between the jazzPU's?

What do you think of this idea?? Would I have a growly MM-like (rock-)tone or not??

Thanks

2. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I did something similar. I have a jazz bass in which I routed out the bridge pickup slot to fit a MM style pickup. I also routed out a jack hole on the side of the bass and a battery box on the back of the body. I used the 4 holes on the electronics plate to install an active preamp (volume - treble - blend - bass). This bass kicks total ass now. So, I think that the musicman pickup did make a difference and add growl.