1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM pickups in a Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by w33nie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    I would like a sting ray, but they cost way too much, even used

So I'm thinking of either getting this

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75.html

or a Squier VM jazz and installing a music man pick up at the bridge, and if possible adding a Audere pre amp

Is that possible?

I read things like parallel and series, what does that mean?

also, there are some cheap ones on ebay, which ones are good? the SD one is 90$ on best bass parts

2. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    and if anyone has ever done something like this before, what pickups should i get for the neck? stock or new?

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    It'll require some serious routing. If it's what you want, go for it, but I'd have a qualified luthier do it. SD is good, GFS are said to be really good and a steal.

That said, is there any particular reason you want to switch out the pickups? I mean, if you haven't actually heard the bass yet, why make up your mind about what you want to keep and what you want to replace?

4. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    If you're trying to cop the MM tone you need to place the pickup in the standard MM position, putting it in the bridge position will change the tone a good deal. It will still sound good but not like a stingray. IMHO

5. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Yeah i asked if I should keep the stock neck pickup, it wasn't very clear

the MM pickups are usually closer to the bridge or further away? i can't tell from pics

also, can someone explain the different settings for the pickup

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Let's break this down

SX Bass $160.00
    Basslines MM Pickup $100.00
    Audere preamp $170.00

If you get it professionally routed, it will probably cost between $50 to $80.

Already, you're up to almost $500. Wouldn't it be better to save a few extra hundred and get a used Stingray.

Remember, anything good is worth waiting for, and saving for. If you really want a Stingray, then get a Stingray.

7. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    I just did some quick measuring of an OLP and an MIM Jazz and it seems if you route the bridge hole for an MM and do all the routing towards the neck side, leaving the edge on the bridge side untouched, you'll only be off the standard position by about 1/4". That should sound like a Stingray a touch brighter. Mix in a little neck pickup to deepen and you be in the ballpark tonally. So you can get much closer to the Stingray with one simple yet irreversible route.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For the price of all the parts and work, you can buy a used Music Man SUB bass.

9. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    I know, it's just an idea right now

and the GFS pick up is about 37 dollars and the pre amp is 150 (not sure about shipping)

but yes I have considered a used stingray, they pop up in craigslist for $800 once in a while, but I'd also nice an amp

10. +1
    Don't make your life harder than it has to be.
    By the time you're done, you'll be into it for as much as a SUB.
    And you'll still have Stingray envy.
    Because it just won't be the same.
    :crying:

11. +1 for the MM SUB. Or sell your Jazz and buy a used Stingray.

12. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Big time +1. Instant gratification won't really get you where you want to go. Get a used EBMM SUB, Ibanez ATK, or save for a Stingray. You'll be happier in the end, even if it takes a little longer.

13. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    One thing I've learned in my 25+ years of playing and buying and selling basses is, go for what you really want. Save up for it. Never settle for a substitute because you won't be truely happy and you'll end up wasting more money than if you saved for what you wanted in the first place.

You want an amp and a bass. What are you using for an amp and bass at the moment?

14. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
  15. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Hmm, that does pose a dilema. You could look for an older Peavey TNT or Combo amp which could be had fairly inexpensivly, and still save up for the Ray.

As far as if your idea is possible, sure it's possible. Will it sound like a Stingray? probably not. Will it feel like a Stingray? Definately not. Is it a good idea? Well, if you want a Stingray, you probably won't be fully satisfied until you get a Stingray. I know, it's tough to wait, but sometimes it's far more worth it to wait.

I'm just trying to save you from looking back and questioning your decision if you do decide to do the conversion. There have been many times that I have looked back and said "I should have just got what I really wanted instead of wasting my money on this".

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My beater club bass is a Warmth P-body with 2 Duncan MM pickups (and duncan 2 band preamp) and a Warmoth J neck. Sounds HUGE, and pretty much like a Saber... I think a new unfinished warmoth body (that you can oil yourself) is what... $180? Yup, just checked it - $180 for an ash P-body, any routing. Rear routing controls is an extra $20.

Something to consider... But like Navybass said - you might just suck it up and buy a real MM - - remember, you can always sell that stock MM later - - you make a franken-bass and it isn't worth so much (trust me, I know!)

17. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Forgot to ask this. Are you in a band or thinking of forming or joining a band anytime soon?

If you are, I'd get an amp first because the one you have isn't going to cut it in a band setting.

18. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Not in a band yet but have played my bass through an ampeg BA115 with a drummer and guitarists. Only used the P pick up though, the bridge pots are screwy, and by amp i mean something small like an acoustic B20, nothing huge

what I'm trying to do is to buy a bass and not worry about gear for years, at least until i make my own money or join a band

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    well, there is an old rule of thumb here: A good amp will make a bad bass sound at least like a bass, but a bad amp will make EVERYTHING sound bad...

I'd fix the bass you have (learn how to solder, my son) and get a decent amp - and get it USED!

20. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    If that's the case, get yourself a good guitar that will last a while. The Stingray fits the bill perfectly, plus it's the one you really want anyway.

If you were to do the conversion, you'd still want a Stingray anyway.

As far as an amp, it doesn't matter what kind of guitar you have if nobody can hear it.

I'll never forget what my dad said to me when I was looking for my first amp. He said "You can always turn a high power amp down but you can never turn a low power amp up past it's max. If you're in a setting where you need power and your amp doesn't have it, you're screwed. Always plan for the future. It's better to have more and not have to use it than to not have enough."

I still say get the amp first though.